Honored Contributor

remodeling kitchen - Thermofoil vs Wood cabinets - your opinions please

I'm finally taking the plunge and doing my kitchen. I have a small galley kitchen with 4 base cabinets (which contractor wants to do the new style pot drawers), 2 upper cabinets & 3 small bridge cabinets. I originally wanted granite but they r recommending textured bull edge Formica for cost factor. My concern is all the contractors are pushing these new style Thermofoil textured cabinets vs wood again for costs. one contractor is suggesting refacing (he's 1300 above others) whereas the other contractors are also giving me the Thermofoil pricing vs wood but new constructed cabinets & granite sink etc and are lower priced. has anyone used this cabinet material & how is the look and durability. I cook so I'm concerned how to clean etc and I want a bisque color. I've read reviews on Google and they are 50-50 pro and con thanks big investment (although I want wood w beer pocketbook!) and do not want to be sorry!!! thanks as always!!!
Regular Contributor

Re: remodeling kitchen - Thermofoil vs Wood cabinets - your opinions please

I don't know what Thermofoil is.....haven't heard of it, but a few years ago we did some overhauling in our kitchen too. It's a nice big kitchen. At our spring home show here we'd talked to the people who did, well, I'm not sure what it's called, but they install all new doors and drawers and then slue matching vinyl like material over the sides, etc. and I want to tell you something, it is absolutely gorgeous. Their installation was just perfect.

The house is, or was about 32 years old then, and the kitchen cupboards were of a dark brown wood. We really liked it, so we ordered dark again. The dark this company had was a formica with an incredible warranty. If you are thinking formica??!! Crrazy? Well, they are just gorgeous, and no one, absolutely no one, but us knows what they are made of. You don't polish them with anything......just wipe down with a gentle liquid detergent and dry. I didn't want the stainless knobs they provided, so I went to Lowes and got some dark copperish ones, and man, did they put a little "zing" into the cabinet fronts. By the way, that was the only dark wood stuff they carry, and they probably were about $8-900. more than getting the oak or whatever ones.

We replaced the counter tops too.......they were a light butcher block look, and it all blended so nicely, but instead we went for a solid surface in a light tannish color, and it all tied in beaugifully. We really enjoy the kitchen, not that we didn't before, but we are in our 70's and thought it time to update things a little. It was worth every penny!

Good luck doing yours, and don't let the contractors talk you into something you don't want. That kitchen will no doubt be with you for a long long time. At least we can hope so, huh??

Honored Contributor

thank you AnMary. they sound like Thermofoil style Ibrahim seen they look just like wood more worried they will warp stain and look
Honored Contributor

I am remodeling myself, and am in a little sticker shock as well. We have saved for a long time. I have done quite a bit of research, and I have the painters, general contractors go for what is easiest, or the highest profit. Full wood cabinets take a great amount of skill, and it is expensive. The profit is not as high as other things. They are going to spend twice the time for wood cabinets vs the thermafoil. The profit might be the same. I have an excellent contractor, but they get sold a lot on new things, want to try them out. It is a good thing I know a lot about certain things like faucets, because they will try to sell you what they have worked with for years, and not always the best choice. Keep doing the research, and go with your gut. If you want lifetime (with ability to refinish). I would go with real wood. I would also wonder about all the plastic, and off gassing .

Personally I am for the old wood stuff. If I was redoing my kitchen I might go for new doors and refacing the main boards. I think I would like something that has been around for a long time to get a better comparison. Usually they figure out the flaws, glitches and defects and improve products several times before they are really guaranteed to work. Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

One thing about the counters. Most contractors have to send the granite out to be cut and installed. They do not make much money on the granite (unless they sell the stone) compared to Formica . It is a specialty product. In my remodel the contractor told me that. He said he installs the bath vanity stone. But he does not cut it, polish it or install larger areas. Formica is easy to cut, a high profit item and they can usually do all the work themselves.

I have had Formica. It can look good, but it has its drawbacks. You can burn it, stain it and it chips easier. No matter what they tell you, it does chip easier than granite. I had mine for 5 years and very careful, and had tiny knicks on it. The seams can get water in them (from cleaning and wiping) and over the years warp a little. There are some man made granite counters that aren't as expensive, but really sturdy!

Honored Contributor

I live in a home that was only built 4 years ago - I had a choice of cabinets and chose to go with maple wood cabinets. I liked the warmth of wood - though they cost a bit more. However, I did go with the formica that looks like marble - I have wilsonart jeweled ivory - it looks like marble with beige veining. Not only is granite very expensive IMO it is cold and industrial looking, so I would never chose that. I am also not a fan of stainless steel appliances for the same reason.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add - i have a friend who has bisque cabinets and painted her kitchen sage with dark rust color corian countertops. It is very pretty.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of thermofoil cabinets.

So many choices today for every budget!!

Respected Contributor

If you have a small area and want granite, could you check out area stores and see if they have an odd piece at a reduced price that might make it affordable? You could also look for sales on granite tiles, which when installed close together look like regular granite.

When I did my small kitchen over, I stumbled upon a stash of granite tiles at a very reduced price. They didn't have many, so I used them for a precious glass-doored cabinet under a window that was about 6" lower than the other cabinets. I got old-fashioned bun feet for it and painted them the same color as the off-white oak cabinets I got and used vintage-style drop door pulls. When my niece saw my kitchen, that's what she liked the best.

Formica (which I got for most of my countertops, with a wood edge) isn't as durable as other materials, and I wouldn't get it again, although it hasn't worn out in 12 years. I'd check for overstock of various materials, including large porcelain, marble, and granite tiles and see if you can put together something that's both durable and beautiful. You don't need to use the same material on every surface as long as they look great together.

Honored Contributor

We remodeled our kitchen over three years ago and never looked into Thermofoil cabinets since I never heard of them! We used wood but my husband did most of the work which saved a lot....of course it took him forever but the results were worth ti! I'm so happy with the updated kitchen!!

I just took a quick Google look to see about Thermofil cabinets and it looks like they can be very attractive. There are high end models that look like wood and if you found something that you are happy with which saves you a lot then I would go with it!

I don't know what your budget is but nowadays granite is not as expensive as it was years ago. We have granite and I couldn't be happier with the look! I guess I just love the high polished look against a rich looking mat cabinet. To me stone that has a nice veined polish look reminds me of jewelry. Granite adds value to your kitchen and there is virtually no maintenance.....we just wipe it down like you would any countertop.

I would bring samples home of all products & materials ....can you get a few sample doors of the cabinets that you are interested in to see how it would look in your kitchen?