Respected Contributor

Two DIY products I have used and am happy to recommend

I am always glad when I can recommend a good product, as it doesn’t happen often. Last year I raved about Shutter Saver. This year I have two products that I have used with great results.

#1. Giani We are in the throes of some expensive home repairs/upgrades, so remodeling the guest bathroom was not in the budget for this year. I was not willing, though, to keep the pink laminate countertop {#emotions_dlg.scared} until we are ready for a complete remodel. I found Giani online, read everything I could find on it, studied the videos, then went to a store to see it for myself. It’s a faux painting technique aimed at resembling granite. Mind you, faux granite was not the look I was after; however, the samples I saw convinced me it would get us through ‘til we are ready for the real thing.

I followed the instructions to the letter and took my time to achieve a look that wasn’t too obviously phony. DH and I are very pleased with the results.

#2. MirrorMate The mirror over the sink is large and, until today, was unframed. I found MirrorMate online, too. We ordered twelve samples from them before selecting a finish and shape. It arrived late this morning, and we had it mounted by this afternoon. It has dressed up the mirror--no, the whole bathroom--to look much more dressed and expensive.

With these two products combined, I spent about $200 but garnered about a $2,000 improved appearance.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Regular Contributor

Re: Two DIY products I have used and am happy to recommend

Thanks for taking the time to recommend these items. I am in the market for the mirror frame and am glad to know you have used and liked it.

Honored Contributor

I had the builder grade bathroom mirrors (unframed) and I unscrewed the clips and hung a mirror from Pier1.

Valued Contributor

Much nicer looking than the Rustoleum product at Lowes! What color did you choose? I have 3 bathrooms I need to re-do and this has definite possibilities. I have already painted and put new hardware on the underlying vanities. Thanks for this information!!

Super Contributor

thank you so much for the Giani review. i have been thinking about using that.

the mirror mate i had looked at but it was just far more $$$ than i wanted to spend and it was not the exact look i wanted. i framed my bathroom mirrors with molding from Home Depot and it looks so much nicer with my cabinets. i paid under $30 per mirror. mirror mate would have cost me over $200 each mirror because of the size! this is the smaller one in the guest bathroom.

Respected Contributor

Ceekay, we chose the dark brown kit, in the small size (~$40, IIRC). If you decide to use this product, my best advice would be to go to YouTube and watch as many videos as you can. The Giani website also offers a good instructional video. If you follow the instructions to the letter, I believe you'll be happy with your results. Good luck!

Edited to add: Another tip I can suggest is to search online for photos of granite. Scan them all to determine what pattern/flow you prefer. I personally do not like the dotted grain, preferring instead a more pronounced vein pattern. Studying the photos was quite helpful to me.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Contributor

I have to thank you for these recommendations!! I didn't know this product existed and this will be the answer to upgrading an old formica top in my master bathroom. Love these forums and all the great advice I get!! You ladies rock!!