Regular Contributor

New Washer Dryer - Recommendations ?

hoping the posters have some input for me regarding a new washer/dryer purchase. i have experience with the maytag neptune and the 'smelly washer' issues, so i know that brand name and high price are no guarantee of quality.

looking for large capacity, and likely will need to be stacked [many can be using a kit]. prefer no agitator; wondering if features like 'steam' can be useful. price not as important as functionality, reliability, [and no bad smell ! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}] not sure yet if gas or elec will be used for the dryer, as new spot for it is being built, but most seem to come in both versions.

kenmore still seems reliable, but avoiding that due to sears uncertain future. some other brand models seem to be sold only by certain stores, like lowe's or home depot- so if you have a recommendation, the store name may help to find it.

if you have good [or bad] feedback for a fairly recent washer/dryer, would appreciate it very much. Cool

Valued Contributor

Re: New Washer Dryer - Recommendations ?

I recently purchased an expensive washer/dryer from sears and it is a HE washer and it honestly does not clean the clothes as well as the older washer. If I knew then what I know now... I would have gotten my washer repaired more often and tired to hold on to the washer. Also the washer cycle is much longer. I purchased a Kenmore Elite 5.2 cu. ft. Top-Load Washer & 7.3 cu. ft. Dryer Bundle for 1900 once I got the warranty/taxes etc.

What a disappointment.....you have to put the clothes in a circle, the machine does not use as much water which is the purpose but the clothes does not wash well, I have put things in the machine and it comes out...still on the clothes.

I am now tweaking the features, washing on bedding to get a full tube of water, using the soak feature to get more water and time in the detergent. It has been a learning lesson for sure.

Regular Contributor

I have had my very large LG washer and matching dryer for about a year now and love them. A good friend bought a comparable Samsung set around the same time I purchased mine and has already had two service calls on them.
Contributor

I purchased a Kenmore Elite 4t. It ripped our clothes. After much calling and many repairmen, Sears replaced the washer (we had the maintenance agreement) . The second washer also ripped our clothes. The washer did not rip clothes every load. There was no rhyme or reason to when the rips would happen. We would just notice that we had gashes or holes in our clothing. VERY VERY annoying AND expensive. We lost sheets, towels, dress clothes, jeans....etc. NOTHING was safe. We had 'the smell' and our clothes never really seemed clean. SOOOOO....I saved up and purchased a Speed Queen...old school. Agitator, no bells and whistles. It cleans our clothes perfectly. Does not rip our clothes. No smell. BEST of all, our clothes are done in 45 mins and ready to go into the dryer. I will never purchase a front loader again! I like the concept of the front loader but the execution leaves much to be desired imho!

I know folks LOVE their front loaders. My friend LOVES hers! She has the same one I had and she has NO issues with hers! Maybe we got two lemons but I am not willing to shell out that money again on a front loader. LOVE my Speed Queen! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

When I was shopping two years ago, I insisted on a top loader with an agitator. It took some time to find one like that, but we bought a GE without a lot of bells or whistles.

I am pleased with the choice I made. It's just we two here, so, depending on the week, we do 4 - 6 loads a week. Our clothes come out clean and without permanently set-in wrinkles (from high-speed spinning).

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/23/2014 IamMrsG said:

When I was shopping two years ago, I insisted on a top loader with an agitator. It took some time to find one like that, but we bought a GE without a lot of bells or whistles.

I am pleased with the choice I made. It's just we two here, so, depending on the week, we do 4 - 6 loads a week. Our clothes come out clean and without permanently set-in wrinkles (from high-speed spinning).

IMO, this is the way to go.

All front loaders will develop that stinky smell. I talked with several repairmen and they all say, the fewer bells and whistles the better.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

We've had our LG Front Load Duo for over a year now and wouldn't part with them for anything. We use a ""washing machine cleaner"" once a month and have never had smelly issues of any kind.

Frequent Contributor

We too purchased an LG but a Top loader this past spring. Ttere is no agitator and it is an HE washer. I had a Siemens front loader before this one for almost 10 yrs. I love this one. I think it uses SLIGHTLY more water. But, my clothes are much cleaner. I, also, leave the top open between washes to air it out. We tried this with the front loader because of odor issues and eventually had to replace the connectors for the door because of the weight of the door pulling at them. I highly recommend it.

Valued Contributor

I went with a Speed Queen! Large tub, agitator, you can add clothes if you need to and cleans like none other. Just the washer like Mom used back when whe was raising seven kids. I can't recommend this brand enough.

Beckyblu

Regular Contributor

appreciate your opinions. keep them coming. Smile

i recall the speed queen brand from back in the 50-60s, they used to give them as prizes on the game shows!

the 'he' front load mfrs now claim they have 'engineered' the smell problem out, but seem to recommend that cleaner be run thru regularly- does that have a fragrance? i can't use any fragranced stuff at all.

my washer sometimes ties the clothes up in knots ! i can't imagine how they can get clean like that. i always wipe it dry and leave the door open, and tape the light switch closed or it will burn out.

yes it is so frustrating when you pay so much and get problems, and it is something we have to use all the time. so nice to have some added 'features' if they work. {#emotions_dlg.glare}