Honored Contributor

Painting a home interior, what would be a reasonible bid?

3 Bdrm., 1 bath. Kit., dining area, hallway,

and do you think woodwork painted same or different color looks best? To the eye?

I have no idea as to what could be considered reasonable.

Don't know sq. ft. right this minute, but it's decent size not extravagant.

Ceilings should be fine.

We're going to have 1 bid to begin with, but I wonder...some of the people their web page lists I know, are fairly well to do, and that scares me. But you get what you pay for. It is painting after all. They got a lot of great compliments, but, I care more about the job they do than how they worked with the people, even though I would presume that's important to keep a business running. I know what they're saying and some said they were pretty particular about some things. It's important, I know that.

I know my husband's guess about floored me. I don't use that web site that tells about workers in your area. Or, where else could I look on line to see what is reasonable for interior home painting today?

Thanks!!! This one has me stumped.

Honored Contributor

Re: Painting a home interior, what would be a reasonible bid?

I did find an area on line and it helped.

Valued Contributor

You can try going to one of your local paint stores to inquire as to whom they would recommend and get prices. Since these places are local, they have a reputation to uphold so they will try to do their best of their customers. Just a suggestion. I'll be in your situation soon as I am in the process of purchasing a condo. Good luck. docsgirl

Contributor

Last October, I had family room ceiling ( about 600 sf room) and dining room (deep tray ceiling) painted. Price was $600. While I about swallowed my cud with bid, they came with excellent praise. They did fantastic job, protected everything, and I mean everything. Since Im too old to be doing things like that now, in the end, I got what I paid for....a superior job. Be prepared for shock at bid though, especially if you were used to doing it on your own. Hope all turns out well, for you.
Respected Contributor

Whoever you choose to paint, be sure they are using a high grade paint and not a watered-down paint.

Honored Contributor

I guess I could be earning a lot of money!! My son just bought a house a few months ago. I've been going over there several days a week and painting his interior for him. He works long hard hours, I love to paint and do a rather good job, so I volunteered. I'm going to paint his front door tomorrow! We've never hired painters. Don't like how they paint. I'd much rather do this simple job myself.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

On 9/23/2014 ID2 said:

I guess I could be earning a lot of money!! My son just bought a house a few months ago. I've been going over there several days a week and painting his interior for him. He works long hard hours, I love to paint and do a rather good job, so I volunteered. I'm going to paint his front door tomorrow! We've never hired painters. Don't like how they paint. I'd much rather do this simple job myself.

And you can get here when? LOL. Wish I could, but not one of us, is able to do this.

Honored Contributor

I have about 1260 square feet. I hired out for the main floor (LR, DR, kitchen- open concept), 3 bedrooms (different colors from main floor and each is a different color). I have the dreaded textured ceilings too. It was $1,500 for two coats and they finished in two days. I didn't have any trimwork painted. The walls were already off white, but I wanted color. I painted the BRs myself later and realized that those textured ceilings made the job well worth what I paid, and then some. I purchased all the paint myself from SW.

Honored Contributor

In my experience, the painting contractor will price per wall -- and there needs to be an agreement of what constitutes a "wall," especially with today's open floor plans.

Esteemed Contributor

We had my mother's house painted recently. It's much smaller than yours. We got three bids and each estimated by the room rather than total square footage. The bids ranged from 2K-2,800K (and we're talking a small house) for an average of 400.00 per room which was walls and trim work.

I'd be surprised if your's came in at less than 3K for a good job. And, I agree about the quality of the paint. We insisted on Benjamin Moore and were glad to pay the extra as it required only one coat on the walls, and 2 on the trim.

It will cost less and in my opinion look better if you paint walls and trim the same color. We chose Benjamin Moore's "White Dove" and it's spectacular.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat