Super Contributor

How much do you spend on groceries per month?

It's just the two of us, my husband and myself.

We tallied up last month's grocery bills and were shocked to see that we spent $1,200{#emotions_dlg.scared}

That amount also includes paper products and other non-edible items such as toothpaste and cleaning products.

Still shocking to see what we spent and we're not buying steaks and lobster!

Guess I'll be clipping coupons and putting us on a budget.{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Honored Contributor

Re: How much do you spend on groceries per month?

I just added up what we have spent so far this month & it's over $600. There are just 2 of us. We have a full freezer in the garage, full refrigerator & full pantry. I like to keep it that way. I stock up when on sale. I also stock up on tp, pt, toothpaste, deodorant, that type thing as I hate to run to the store just because we need say tp. Some months I spend more some less since I keep things well stocked. More when we go to Sam's. It's always $300-$400 just there since we have a 3 hr round trip when we go. If I did not keep things so well stocked I'm sure it would be well over $600. Prices just keep going up & up.

Super Contributor

Total probably $500 for my husband and me plus my dog who I buy salmon, beef and chicken for as well.
Trusted Contributor

Just me, around $250.
Super Contributor

On 9/22/2014 gazelle77 said: Total probably $500 for my husband and me plus my dog who I buy salmon, beef and chicken for as well.

That sounds very reasonable. Hope you can share how you do it. Any and all your tips would be appreciated!

Super Contributor

On 9/22/2014 helping said: Just me, around $250.

When I was single I spent about that much.

Honored Contributor

There's two of us and we average about $450 per month. And we eat a lot of lunches out and have a very light dinner.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I'm guessing at about 800 and that's including the fresh meat I buy for my pets. I'm feeding 3 adult humans too. I don't buy a lot of packaged foods though and I buy meat in bulk and then split it up into usable portions for meals and vacuum seal it.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

On 9/22/2014 Autumn in NY said:
On 9/22/2014 helping said: Just me, around $250.

When I was single I spent about that much.

$250 a month? Very hard to do today. I mean, fresh vegetables, fruits, are expensive. Especially organic. Even $100/week for one is challenging, including coffee, paper filters, dairy etc. Hard on $100 a week.

Honored Contributor

When gas prices first hit $4.00 a gallon, I vowed to stop all unnecessary trips, and to make my necessary trips count. At that time, I was shopping on my 1-2-3 plan. Once a month I went to Wal-Mart, twice a month I shopped at my local grocer, and every three months I went to Sam's. Sticking to that shopping plan really made a difference in my spending, and I was only going to the gas station once a month as well. When my Sam's membership needed to be renewed, I studied my receipts closely, and realized I was not saving what I needed to, in order to substantiate renewing my membership, so no more trips to Sam's. Now, I make 2 stops a month at my local grocery store; great specials, 3 day sales, and the only place I buy meat. The last few months, I have spent an average of $350 a month in this store. I go to Wal-Mart every 3 months to restock toilet paper, paper towels, detergent, and other staples. These trips cost nearly $400.00, but again, I buy what I need for 3 months---NO trips to Wal-Mart inbetween time, and NO special trips to town for anything I forgot. I keep a running list of what we need, and either get it at the grocery store if it's on special, or buy it at Wal-Mart on the designated run. My pantry is always well stocked; I have 3 refrigerators, and 1 freezer. I will be making my next Wal-Mart run on Saturday, and have things on the list I will need for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I will make another run in December, but my restocking will be set after that, and I may not make another trip to Wal-Mart until March, as I avoid being out and about as much as I can during flu season. There are 4 adults in my household, and my cooking style is similar to Sandra Lee's style of semi-homemade, although I do cook many meals from scratch. My husband and I are diabetic, so we don't have a lot of chips, candy or sweets in the house. My husband is now disabled and I have retired, but I stick strictly to this shopping pattern, and still only get gas once a month unless my husband has multiple VA appts, as that facility is about 45 miles away.