Honored Contributor

Another thread about Longaberger baskets made me wonder about people's collections.Apparently collecting is no longer fashionable among the younger set. Do you have any collections? I have my grandmother's collection of Hummels , pre WW11, so I know they are valuable. She bought them when they were just a cute decor item that cost hardly anything.I also have my Mom's collection of Fenton art glass figures.I don't know if they have any value or not. Herenear our camp I purchased 2 plates with childrens figues on them by an artist named Zolan. I only paid $2 each for them but when I looked him up online I found they are worth around $50 to$100 apiece. That was a shock. I also have a collection of Lee Sands inlay necklaces.I do believe that one day they may be valuable - however I bought them because I love the artistry of them.

Valued Contributor

Being in the antiques business 30+ years, it's hard NOT to collect something. So, here goes...blue & white stoneware pitchers, bowls, salt and butter crocks--Watt pottery (apple & rooster designs)--old baskets, kitchen wooden ware such as rolling pins, mashers, wood-handled choppers, dough bowls--grey graniteware (also, have some different colors of blue)coffeepots, lunch & milk pails, funnels, and other utensils. Also, stoneware such as Redwing and saltglaze stoneware with blue designs. Milk bottles with the name of our town on them. Whew, I think that's most of it. Not all is on display, thankfully, but stored in our basement. I pull out different things and pack away others as the mood strikes me. I love the beauty, simplicity, and functionality of these things AND their history..if only they could speak.

Valued Contributor

I only have one real collection and that is metal horses from the 40's and 50's, they are mostly copper colored. I no longer actively collect, but I enjoy what I have.

Honored Contributor
I also have a collection of Hummels from my grandmother and mother. My grandmother was from Germany and brought them back when she visited. I collected depression glass, McCoy and pyrex for many years. I currently don't collect anything.
Respected Contributor
Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. You can look up values, but that doesn't mean anything unless people want them. My.mom had a huge collection of Hummels that were from.both of my grandmothers. We looked them all up by their markings on the bottom. Since none of us collect them, we brought them to a very well known auctioneer, who also takes online.bids from around the country and world. Let's just say that most didn't sell, and the ones that did brought in less than.half of what their value was supposed to be. The one thing we did make good money on was a coin collection. I don't collect things. Too much clutter and dusting. The things I do have around the house are just because I like them, not because I think they are valuable. Also, I don't like too many of one type of thing.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I collect Royal Crown Derby paperweights that are in the shape of buildings. There aren't very many of them and I don't find them in the U.S. very often, so my whole collection fits into a small display piece in my home office where I can enjoy them every day.

Super Contributor

I collect all kinds of nutcrackers in my white curio in my downstairs family room. Spode dishes are on my walls in my diningroom and sitting room. Bunnies on my hutch in the diningroom with blue toile dishes. I also have a ceramic cat collection!

Honored Contributor

Cookbooks? Sterling flatware (you can find some of the most beautiful things in antique shops and sometimes at really good prices--I started this collection when I quit buying t-shirts on vacation! LOL!!), and maybe blue and white vases, ginger jars, fish post, etc. I have a lot of Longaberger baskets I need to get rid of but I never considered it a collection.

Trusted Contributor

Lord, I have Hummels from my grandmother and mother, and I don't know what to do with them....and they are the older ones too. I have tried selling them, no one wants them, so they are wrapped carefully in a storage box.

I collect Bombay Company trinket boxes, I have a few, they are not worth much, but I like them. I have a few pieces of Belleek, but I don't consider myself a collector.

Radko ornaments and finials are my real collection. Almost time to whip them out too!

Esteemed Contributor

I used to collect Zolan plates. I probably had upwards of 30. I had the a lot of these either full size or miniature, some I had both.

I only have one or two miniatures left, Brotherly Love and one with a little girl praying.

I don't remember what I did with them, probably Goodwill after a garage sale.

I also had a collection of over 100 angels that people had given to me over the years. I kept one small angel for each room, the rest went to Goodwill.