Frequent Contributor

Is my decor out dated or what?

As I sit here and look at my foyer, living room and dining room. I am in decorating shock at how bad it looks. Everyone say's how beautiful and inviting my home is. It's a 1917 bungalow. Wallpaper !! Yes you heard me. Floral, done in the complimentary prints as was so popular 20 years ago. What is wrong with me? Cranberry and sage greens. Oh , I need help. Well time to get updated. When I watch any home show and they come into the house when it has wall paper. What is the first thing they say? omg! That has to go. I'm 64 , I want a fresh new look. I'm done with the old look. Light Blues, grays and whites. Now what to do with some of these antiques, some I will use. My husband thinks this is crazy, he doesn't know me. Lol. I did a total kitchen remodel four years ago. So now of course these rooms looks terrible.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Is my decor out dated or what?

I think your home sounds beautiful as it is now. I don't care what designers, or so-called experts say..........I personally LOVE wallpaper! The only reason I don't have it in my home is because I live in an apartment.

Frequent Contributor

The only reason you should change your decor is to suit yourself. If you are tired of your look, by all means change it. If you still like it, you are the one who lives with it. My decorating style is to please my husband, son, and me!

Valued Contributor

Just let it be for a little while and it will be all the rage again. Everything old is new again! As long as you like it who cares?
Honored Contributor

I'm trying to slowly re-do all of my 1993 decor, so I am not one to judge.

I know my house looks dated, it's just that every time I start the process of hiring to get new linoleum, tile, painting, drywall repair, something happens at work and I do not want to spend my available cash. It's a small townhouse, so no one will take on just one room. I have to do (at a minimum) one level at a time.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

It sounds like your walls are wearing an Isaac Mizrahi floral print cardigan!

Super Contributor

I love wallpaper also.............I think you home is lovely by your description.........but you need to be happy. I would say get a new hairdo and nice lipstick and a few pillows and some accents or buy a few new things..........but I would be happy to live there. Best to you.

Super Contributor

Anyway, things come around again.

Valued Contributor

We moved into our present home and did nothing to its design. My living room is beige with one wall a darker beige. This wall runs into the kitchen. Carpet is Berber which we love. Our basement is finished with 2 walls light beige, one wall a darker beige and the 2rd wall is red. It makes the basement feel so much warmer. We live in Nebraska so everyone has a basement. This will be our last house so we have kept all the beige walls and carpet. Makes it sell much easier. We have pulled in color with accessories. We really like it.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi little boobala. I'd say if that is how you really feel, go for it! If you are updating, you could try visiting a few open houses for ideas. Or visit a paint store to check out new colors.