Honored Contributor

And how you have mixed them in with your modern furniture ?

I have a lot of antiques plus several pieces that are from probably the 1930s or 40's when DH's parents were married. I had more in our Pa house but had to downsize so I had to sell some when we moved to Florida.Currently - antiques I have a cedar lined trunk in the mission style inherited from DH's grandmother. It is in our guest room and I store our winter clothes in there.That room also has a small walnut table with an inlaid ivory design on the top that my great grandmother brought with her from Italy when she immigrated. In the foyer is an oak mission style washstand and hanging above it a portrait of my DH's grandfather who died in 1918. In my dining room are my two favorite pieces - a mission style Stickley buffet that was DH's grandmother's and is absolutely gorgeous, and a small serving table that was my great grandmother's. It has little trays that you can pull out on each side to serve from, and you can wheel it around.It is federalist in style and it is cherry.My grandmother said she thought it had been in the family for many generations. Since her family has been in this country since before the revolutionary war it could be very very old.

I have more but this is getting to be a long story. tell me about your antiques.

Honored Contributor

I have a few pieces that would technically qualify as antique. I just acquired a blanket chest that dates back in our family to at least the 1840's and the story goes that it came to Ohio from PA via covered wagon. So excited to get this piece.

I also have a couple of family Bibles that go back to mid 1800's as well a couple of pieces of family glassware. Oh, and I have a table that my grandfather made in shop class in high school, as well as a really nice toy box he made, and a wooden crayon box too.

I have much more vintage things, those that go back to maybe the 1940's and up. Lots of linens and kitchen items, some from family, some not.

The big deal with antiques (especially furniture) is that it is considered "wrong" to refinish it. Most pieces I have had been refinished before I got them. I'm ok with that, as they were a mess, and look much better now. I keep them for the sentimental value, not the monetary value, anyway.

Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful cherry chest, a dry sink and a pretty mahogany table that were handed down to me by my mother. They were antiques when she bought them. I treasure them. I also have a mahogany writing desk in my bedroom that was my grandmother's. I mix them with my other furniture, and I think they look really nice. I don't like all new or all antique furniture. I think a mix looks better.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

I have a solid maple bedroom set (circa 1940) that was my brother's. He said he didn't want it so I have it and used it as nursery furniture for both my children. It is currently in one of our guest rooms (twin bed - have original head board and footer). My brother has passed and every time I see the chest of drawers or bed, I think of him.

I also have 3 authenticated Louis XVI dining chairs that I received in the divorce settlement from my first husband. They were his mother's, he didn't like them, and so gave then to me. Two are on the landing on the second floor with my antique dolls sitting on them. The arm chair is in the other guest room.

I treasure all these pieces, they are such a part of our home.

Valued Contributor

I don't have many, although I love antiques. I have a desk that I bought at an antique store, in my home office. The pieces that mean the most to me are a china doll that was my mothers when she was a child. She would have been 97 years old if she were still living, she passed when I was 4, so she has been gone for 53 years. I really do not remember much about her since I was so young, I don't really know if my memories are real or just what people have told me, so this doll means the world to me. I also have a clock that belonged to my dad's family and the highchair that he sat in as a baby. He would have been 96 this December if still living. He passed 11 years ago, so this also has very special meaning to me. I could never depart with these items as there is a lot of sentimental value attached.

Esteemed Contributor

I love my antique pieces, although none have been inherited. My favorite is a dark oak sideboard with two drawers and two doors that have odd-shaped wooden handles that hold the doors. The edges are hand-planed to curve slightly in in a couple of places on the front and give it a different look. I asked a friend of mine (who knows a lot more about antiques than I do) about it, and she said she's never seen another piece like it.

My second favorite is a very old painted yellow cabinet/hutch with the chipped and rubbed off paint (love these kinds of pieces, slight shabby chic). The top has two glass paned doors --you can see from the way it's put together that the piece was handmade. The bottom has two doors held closed by pieces of wood nailed at the top. It's sort of country french because it has roosters handpainted on the front of the bottom doors. I love this piece.

I also have an antique oak dresser with two curved drawers at the top and two long drawers underneath. It has a beautiful mirror attached with curved and carved wooden pieces holding the mirror on each side. Also an old trunk that I use as an end table and store various things in. A corner cabinet with shelves on top and doors at the bottom is made of old one-inch thick heart pine and painted...of course again, slightly shabby chic.

I do have a "center table", and another cabinet with glass paned doors at the top, an old glass front bookcase, and a vintage English "pub table" from the 1930's-40's. It has extensions that slide out from under the ends, and four chairs, table and chairs have "barley twist legs".

Collections of old tole trays, some beautiful old glass globe handpainted lamps, a very old wooden box with a lid that has odd hinges that I've never seen before, and other various collections such as chintz china, old quilts, old books, etc. add to the decor. I love all the things I've accumulated over the years, and enjoy them every day! (Sorry this was so long - but I do love all these pieces!)

Honored Contributor

As you might guess by my name, I collect depression glass along with old kitchenware, and I used to sell it at antique malls and shows. Ebay has allowed me to add many pieces at reasonable prices, also rare items I never thought I would find. I've branched off into other areas of glassware, carnival, custard glass, etc. Furniture antiques have been bought at local auctions, more for actual use than collector value. My computer sits on an old baker's cabinet. The dishes I use every day are my grandmother's Fiesta from the 50's.

Honored Contributor
On 9/17/2014 NickNack said:

I have a beautiful cherry chest, a dry sink and a pretty mahogany table that were handed down to me by my mother. They were antiques when she bought them. I treasure them. I also have a mahogany writing desk in my bedroom that was my grandmother's. I mix them with my other furniture, and I think they look really nice. I don't like all new or all antique furniture. I think a mix looks better.

i agree - plus I would not want to put up with some of the quirks of antique furniture like sticking drawers etc in all the furniture in my house. that would get aggravating.

Valued Contributor

I LOVE ANTIQUES!!!!! My husband and I have collected for over 35 years and both came from families that loved and collected antiques. We have a large collection of antique porcelains that include Limoges, American Belleek , Royal Bonn and Wagner portrait paintings. We also have large collection of Gone With The Wind Lamps , banquet lamps and piano lamps. We have Victorian marble top table, chest and 4 poster beds. Antique oriental rugs. We have recently built a game room and picked up 2 pinball machines,il 2 slot machines, 2 juke boxes 1 Wurlitzer bubbler, along with lot of beer memorabilia.

I will add that much of this was purchased in lieu of vacations etc. We pick thinks each we both want and buy for Christmas, birthdays, etc. We are now looking for a antique gas pum.

Respected Contributor

I have a cool story. Back in 1980 we owned a small trash route. My husband drove one of the trucks. He came home that night and said he got some old statues that some lady told him to take. She didn't want them and had them on her porch. He said he thought he could sell them for $5 or so each. LOL

When I saw them I fell in love and still have them in my house. They are actually turn of the century gas lamps that had been converted into electric. Then the cords were cut off for some reason. They are so cool looking. I will try to post a pic later if I can figure it out (again).

The pictures are posted below. They are really heavy and made of some kind of metal.