Super Contributor

think it's mold spots on furniture? HELP

Since moving (embarassed to admit) I've noticed spots of mold on my wooden furniture. I've oiled the heck out of it, but the spots are still there. Thought of using one of those 'smiley' face yellow sponges on them, but it seems harsh,,a lot are on antique furniture. Years and years ago I had a 'formula' for treating antique wood. It was real hard to work with and I can't even remember it now. Anyway, any suggestions for me? Willing to try anything EASY!

Honored Contributor

Re: think it's mold spots on furniture? HELP

If you have mold on your wood furniture, there are likely mold spores growing throughout your home. I would be checking all closets and drawers, and evaluating the need for a dehumidifier.
Super Contributor

thanks, redtop. I really don't think I'm that contaminated. but really thank you.

Honored Contributor

When we moved from pa to florida - it was in july - all our other furniture was fine but the patio set was covered with mold when it arrived. I had to clean the entire set with bleach to get rid of it.

When you use an interstate mover your furniture is packed in with the furniture of other moves going in the same direction. There were three loads on the truck with ours.

As for your furniture - I would try to clean it with lysol - the original concentrate in the red bottle (wear gloves it ruins your hands even when diluted). if lysol doesn't kill it i bet it is not mold.

if it arrived with the mold on it I would call the mover - they are responsible for delivering it in the exact same condition as it left in.If the mold happened after it got to your house I would be looking carefully for where it is coming from.

Super Contributor

hh, thank you too. really valuable info. Came from Pa to Va. much more humid, yuk.

Super Contributor

I've heard of toothpaste to remove water spots, don't know about mold, but maybe worth a try.

Super Contributor

thank you again, all. I was more concerned with the look of this, now I see it's really creepy!!! again, thank you all.

Respected Contributor

There is an all natural mold killer on amazon. I used it on a piece of furniture when I had moved. I then got the mold stain remover from the same company on amazon and then used touch up paint on it and then used a clear stain on it. No one can tell now.
Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.scared} Mold is nothing to fool around with.

Unfortunately I have had my share of experience with mold. If you have mold growing on furniture IN your home, the least of your worries is the mold on the furniture! This indicates mold growing inside the drywall of the home, and this could be very toxic and you should have a mold test inside your home, immediately. They will tell you what kind of spores they are and how to get rid of it. Mold remediation is a must. You do not need to be breathing those mold spores, you could get very sick very quickly.

Respected Contributor

The all natural mold killer for wood, walls, etc. that is on amazon is called Mold KillerTM It could be the OP had mold in her previous home as she wrote "since moving"