Trusted Contributor

American Pickers on History channel

I've seen this show but never watched it. It's been running for about 4 yrs. I love the hunt, learning the history, entertained by the characters and how people live.
Contributor

Re: American Pickers on History channel

The two hosts were at our local "Junkstock" here in Omaha this spring. Held twice a year on an old dairy farm, quite a big local draw.

Respected Contributor

I've watch several episodes and wonder about the hoarding tendency seen there. When some of these characters pass, what do they think will happen with all their " stuff " ? ? ? Someone is going to have a monumental task ahead of him/ herself......I don't think that there'll be much of a reward for their efforts. What a shame....
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

I, too, love American Pickers. I've learned so much from this show. Mike and Frank really have to work to find some of their "buried treasures." I also love the girl on the show. I suddenly can't remember her name

Pawn Stars is another show I like. I've learned so much about history and just general information from Rick. I also love when they bring in experts to tell about an item or to appraise an item. As I've said before, I've learned so much.

Neither of these shows seem like something that would keep my interest but they do.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/12/2014 Nana5 said:

I, too, love American Pickers. I've learned so much from this show. Mike and Frank really have to work to find some of their "buried treasures." I also love the girl on the show. I suddenly can't remember her name

Pawn Stars is another show I like. I've learned so much about history and just general information from Rick. I also love when they bring in experts to tell about an item or to appraise an item. As I've said before, I've learned so much.

Neither of these shows seem like something that would keep my interest but they do.

Nana5, I've enjoyed both American Pickers and Pawn Stars quite a bit. (And her name is Danielle BTWSmile) Just wondering if you saw any of the episodes of the new History Channel show called "Pawnography", where Rick, Big Hoss, and Chumlee go up against 3 contestants. The contestants can win some of Rick's prized possessions, and the questions are basically about all the things that could be covered in their pawn business, history, geography, rare items, etc. I didn't think I would like it as I'm not into game shows, but it was a lot of fun. The season is over for now - I hope it comes back. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

As a retired antique dealer who used to work on estate sales, I've got some info for the totally lost when it comes to disposing of an estate. Try to get references from your friends for someone who has the ability to realistically tell you what you have. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it doesn't have value to someone. If you watch these two shows you already get the idea. Tag sales are usually used in cities to sell off an estate, auctions are better in rural areas with lots of parking. You will pay a percentage to these people, well worth it if you don't have the desire to run your own sale. Sometimes you will find absolutely nothing of value, in which case call someone like 1-800-GOT-JUNK. If nothing else try to find online references.

Honored Contributor

On 9/12/2014 Nana5 said:

Nana, Danielle.

Respected Contributor

I have 4 favorite shows on the History channel

American Pickers

American Restoration

Pawn Stars

Counting Cars - my favorite

Super Contributor

Sad to see some of these hoarders. : (

Occasional Contributor

Those boys are adorable. I love how they get excited about some old motorcycle or sign. I wish there was a more feminine version of this show that showed a picker tracking down antique furniture, vintage fashion, other girly things.