Frequent Contributor

I'm finding myself wanting to get on the Cloche bandwagon with the rest of you For the Home gals! I have two in my shopping cart from Target and one from Hobby Lobby. Just waiting to press the buy buttons. My biggest question is what am I going to put in them? I've looked on Pinterest and gotten lots of great ideas. What are you putting in your cloche?

Respected Contributor

What are you putting in your cloche?

Nothing {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Never got on the cloche bandwagon, the sphere bandwagon, the lighted orbs, the birdcages, the multiple, multiple battery operated candle holders, have no idea where I would put all of it without making my house look like a gift shop.

But, enjoy yours. I am sure the creative ladies on this forum will have lots of great ideas.

Trusted Contributor

I have to say: I don't get the obsession with cloches! So you take some seasonal or "pretty" items, put them under a glass cover, and set the thing somewhere in your house. (Or worse, you buy an already-arranged cloche from some home decor place.) Why, exactly? And even if I did it once and liked it, would I really want to repeat the same effect over and over again -- cloches for every side table, shelf, and season? Nope. For me, a one-time creative cloche arrangement might be OK. After that, it's hackneyed. I think I'll pass.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

I have 2 cloches - one in my family room and one in my front hall. I think that's absolutely enough.

I think some go a little overboard with one theme...

Super Contributor
Most of us enjoy them very much. I would rather have the quiet elegance of a few glass cloches than statues of dogs or horses or gd forbid sports memorabilia.
Honored Contributor

I have to say I don't get this entire seasonal decorating the entire house so it looks like a shopping center display. if it's your thing - have at it and enjoy. I would not want to have to dust all that stuff everywhere in my home.

Honored Contributor
On 9/5/2014 happy housewife said:

I have to say I don't get this entire seasonal decorating the entire house so it looks like a shopping center display. if it's your thing - have at it and enjoy. I would not want to have to dust all that stuff everywhere in my home.

That would drive me nuts. That's too many things to store, too many things to dust, just too much stuff all over on every surface.

Honored Contributor

I agree, look at all the threads about Cloches. It seems to be the current fad, was it started by Pottery Barn? I have two nice glass cloches that I bought to use as terrariums. That turned out to be more difficult than I thought. But I would only ever use them as terrariums. To fill them with "decor," knick-knacks, or other stuff would just seem odd.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/5/2014 Nicnacsmommy said:

I'm finding myself wanting to get on the Cloche bandwagon with the rest of you For the Home gals! I have two in my shopping cart from Target and one from Hobby Lobby. Just waiting to press the buy buttons. My biggest question is what am I going to put in them? I've looked on Pinterest and gotten lots of great ideas. What are you putting in your cloche?

Nicnacsmommy, I just bought my first cloche (and probably only, but I know to never say never) yesterday at Michaels. It was $12 after using a coupon, and it's approx 11" tall x 7" diameter at the bottom of the cloche, but it's only just shy of 6" diameter inside the cloche moving up toward the center and top. It's about 3/8" thick. Some of them had horizontal lines in the glass that were more visible than others, so I was glad to check them out in person so that I could pick the best looking one.

I will be using it to display who knows what at this point, just whatever works when the mood strikes me. The ladies here have shared lots of really neat ideas that I will probably utilize. As a base I'll use one of several old decorative dinner plates that were my grandmother's.

I was in HL yesterday, but did not see the cloche with the slate base that is on their website, but the one I got at Michaels is very similar in shape and size to that one, except it has no base. I did see a really large and heavy cloche with no base at HL, and it looked really nice. It was $39.99 regular price.

Super Contributor

The only thing I can imagine in a glass cloche is a stuffed owl. One of which is not going to be in my home.