Honored Contributor

I posted this under pets but since that's the only place it shows up, I wanted it to have more exposure.

Houston Collie Rescue is participating in processing the seizure of over 100 purebred collies ordered seized by a Federal Judge in a bankruptcy case. The owner, an optometrist in Tomball, Tx. had dogs seized in a cruelty case in 2007. Apparently no one ever came back to check on her. The dogs were unsocialized and living in filthy conditions.

Volunteers gave all the dogs baths over the week-end and they are being assessed for medical problems at this point. Hopefully, sometime in the coming week, the judge will release them to HCR, and other groups, including the one with which I volunteer, will start preparing them for new homes. The dogs are underweight and have a plethora of medical problems. I wouldn't be surprised if many don't have heart worms which are rampant in that area. Two of the females were noticeably pregnant and one of them had 12 pups last night. Most of the dogs are Smooth Collies which are the short-haired version of the breed.

Anyone in the Houston area willing to help with these dogs or anyone wishing to make a monetary donation can contact Houston Collie Rescue through their website.

Many of the dogs are this color, called tri colored, and this is a Smoothie.

photo imagejpg1-48.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: OT Animal Seizure - Help!

Here are some of the dogs with volunteers yesterday. Note how eager they are for human interaction. That's a collie for you!

Honored Contributor

Hi, kachina! Thanks for sharing this. I just gave this info to a dear friend in Texas who's active in finding homes for animals, dogs in particular. She's not in the Houston area, but she's part of a network that locates homes and arranges for transport.

Keep the love going!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

More info:

Rescued collies start road to recovery

"HARRIS COUNTY, Texas - Dozens of collies removed under a federal court order from a Tomball woman's home Friday are now on the road to recovery.

Local 2 was allowed access to the undisclosed location where the 106 dogs are being treated. Volunteers now call the Harris County ranch Camp Collie.

Last week a judge ordered Dr. Elaine Kmiec to surrender the dogs as part of a bankruptcy settlement. Kmiec, an optometrist, claimed she was breeding and selling the dogs. But neighbors say she was hoarding them.

Vickey Willard, president of Houston Collie Rescue stepped in removing the dogs from what she says were horrible conditions.

"We're seeing a change, they're happy they're running around they're clean," Willard said.

The dogs are now receiving critical treatment from volunteers like veterinarian Babbi Dilbeck who came all the way from Tennessee. Dr. Dilbeck says she has hope for all of the dogs, even the sickest one who has a severe skin infection.

"A bath and antibiotics and he's already starting to improve," Dilbeck said.

Houston Collie Rescue says they've been inundated with requests for the dogs, but there will be a strict process before any are released for fostering or adoption.

Willard says home and background checks will be mandatory.

"These dogs have been through a very difficult life and we want to make sure rest of their future is going to be wonderful," she said.

There will be a hearing later this week where a judge will decide whether to officially grant Houston Collie Rescue permanent custody of the dogs."

(link goes to: http://www.click2houston.com/news/rescued-collies-start-road-to-recovery/27827920)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing this - I'm on the Collie List and received the email that way. I so wish I was in TX instead of NC. I've had two rough collies and have always wanted a Smoothie - but currently live in a second story apt in Charlotte.

Planning on a donation - also I understand that you can buy food for the dogs

****** Buy food for the dogs. HCR is using Petsmart Authority (Chicken & Rice or Lamb & Rice). You can purchase this through the Sugarland, TX Petsmart and they will hold it for them for pick up. 16758 Southwest Fwy, Sugar Land, TX 77479. (281) 494-8787. *******

Respected Contributor

How terrible for those poor dogs. I wonder if they have had adequate shade and water; Houston is so hot. It's wonderful that they have been rescued, and I hope each one can receive the medical and health care it needs and a loving home. Thanks to all the hard-working volunteers who are helping the dogs. You are actively involved, kachina? Keep us posted, OK?

Honored Contributor

I volunteer with Southwest Collie Rescue. Last time dogs were seized from this woman, we got and placed 10 of them. Smooth Collies aren't popular here but they adore them in Arizona. We're already lining up potential foster homes. I'd take one but my very alpha male and two bossy females aren't very nice to visitors. So I mostly help with transport. Will keep you posted.

HCR says cash donations would be most appreciated as they have no way to transport lots of dog food. The dogs will be "farmed out" to the homes of fosters once they are formally given custody. I just read a statement from one of the volunteers. She said many of the adults were so skinny, her hands would span their waists.

I lived in Houston over 30 years. This is the first time I wish I was back there, at least temporarily.

Esteemed Contributor

HCR says cash donations would be most appreciated as they have no way to transport lots of dog food.

Does the rescue group have a donation site?

Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 nutmeg3 said:

HCR says cash donations would be most appreciated as they have no way to transport lots of dog food.

Yes, on their website, Houston Collie Rescue.com, there is a link in the upper left to Paypal or there is an address for checks.
Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 kachina624 said:
On 9/2/2014 nutmeg3 said:

Yes, on their website, Houston Collie Rescue.com, there is a link in the upper left to Paypal or there is an address for checks.

Here it is:

Tomball, TX Seizure

Yes HCR has 93 total Collies
placed in our care by the
Federal Court.

How can you help?

We are accepting donations via our Paypal button on the left or mail to
Houston Collie Rescue
P.O. Box 526
Stafford, TX 77497

http://www.houstoncollierescue.org/