Super Contributor

Paging Mallemo; Red Lantern progress

Just finished the lantern.

Super Contributor

Re: Paging Mallemo; Red Lantern progress

uqcshlukaxroqdfv;89:=ot>8559=<4;=34;=XROQDF>28644;:63525Smiley Surprisedt1lsi"" alt=""/>

uqcshlukaxroqdfv5464=ot>8559=<4;=34;=XROQDF>28644;:63725Smiley Surprisedt1lsi"" alt=""/>

Super Contributor

Several things I would change if doing again.

First, would definitely use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (ASCP) instead of the craft paint from HL. It chips and peels too easily. "You get what you pay for" springs to mind!

I debated about using Sloan's Emperor's Silk, a beautiful red like the color I chose from HL. The HL paint I used is outdoor paint; I think the ASCP could be weatherproof with a couple coats of her soft wax (like I used on the metal top of the lantern).

I would not take the time to put paper on the glass. It really did not prevent paint from adhering to the glass, and it acually caused more problems than it prevented. Next time I plan on just scraping off the paint that gets on the glass, comes off easily.

I used ASCP soft wax on the the metal top. It's a little spotty so I will apply another coat and polish.

I am very, very happy with the results.

I have a few bronze finish lanterns I'm going to try to paint white with ASCP for the FP for Christmas. Cancelled the cream Luminara lanterns; going to try to recycle what I have on hand. I don't know if the ASCP will stick to the slick bronze finish so I will do a test patch and hope for the best.

Trusted Contributor

Not mallemo but that is really nice whitelinen, look great. Great job on it. Can't wait to see it decorated. Thanks for sharing

JPC

Super Contributor

Hi J!! Thanks for the comments!

It took longer than I intended, but doesn't it always. I was too OCD about it; was just not needed for this lantern since the original finish is rustic.

What do you think about a plaid ribbon with an evergreen topper?

Still thinking about what's going inside, as well. A large Santa would look great. Will be on the hunt for one at my local resale shops since there always seems to be a lot of them available.

Don't think my JS Santa's are large enough.

What are you doing with yours? Using it for Christmas? Would love some ideas!!

Super Contributor

Love it white linen. Awesome job.
Trusted Contributor

On 8/31/2014 whitelinen said:

Hi J!! Thanks for the comments!

It took longer than I intended, but doesn't it always. I was too OCD about it; was just not needed for this lantern since the original finish is rustic.

What do you think about a plaid ribbon with an evergreen topper?

Still thinking about what's going inside, as well. A large Santa would look great. Will be on the hunt for one at my local resale shops since there always seems to be a lot of them available.

Don't think my JS Santa's are large enough.

What are you doing with yours? Using it for Christmas? Would love some ideas!!

I could tell by looking wl that you put a lot of time into the lantern but it was worth it. Looks better than if you'd bought it that way.

I think a plaid ribbon with an evergreen topper would be really nice. I agree about the Santa and do think a large Santa would look good, maybe one that looked older. I think one that has cloth clothes and a snowy white beard and hair would look neat in it. That would pull out the red color of you lantern. How tall a Santa do you think you would need???

So far I haven't done a thing with mine yet but am thinking of what I can do with it and when out and about looking at things I wouldn't have looked at before wondering if they would look good in the lantern. It will be for Xmas though and hopefully next year will have time to come up with other ideas for each season.

Super Contributor

You did a beautiful job.
Super Contributor

Many thanks moxie and luvmyboxer! Yes J i totally agree with your vision of the Santa! My thoughts exactly. My local GW seems to have a lot of those Santas. Will be lots of fun to find just the right one. Red of course!!
Respected Contributor

Simply stunning WL!! A labor of love & job well done. I can't wait to see what you do with it, what you'll put in it, not that it needs a thing. I'm still playing around with mine, I' m geared towards Halloween at this point.