Esteemed Contributor

I'm on the budget plan, and I looked at my current bill and its almost doubled! I called and CS told me it was re-evaluated the end of July. She told me to keep my temp at 78..wondered what you ladies set your temp at. I live in the midwest and although its been a pretty mild summer, its been in the upper 90's recently..just wanted to vent, lol. Much rather spend it on clothes, skin care etc..lol!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor
I too live in Midwest. I keep air on 74 during day and 73 night. We have ceiling fans that help. We live in story and half house . Our bedroom is upstairs and it's always warmer by 4-5 degrees. I can suffer some during day but like cooler to sleep. You might see if you can go on a level payment plan. Some people do this to budget. We also turn air off if it cools fown a few days.
Super Contributor

I live in the Northeast, but I noticed a huge increase in my electric bill as well. I keep my A/C set at 79 (when I use it), but thanks to a mild summer I have not even been running it much this summer. What gives? LOL. I was looking forward to small bill and it was HUGE! I think I only had the air on maybe 5 or 6 times in total this summer.

Honored Contributor

We are from Florida and I guess we are used to being warm - we keep the AC at 77 or 78 all the time and we feel quite comfortable. if your electric bill has suddenly soared you may want to have the AC unit checked out - our neighbor's electric bill did that so she asked my DH to figure out why and he found that there was something wrong with the AC unit and it was running constantly.

Respected Contributor

Here in Florida I keep mine at 78 or 77. I get too cold otherwise. I sleep with a ceiling fan at night. We recently purchased a unit for my mothers house. Here we use Heat Pumps which consists of a unit outside and an air handler inside or in in the garage. My mothers unit was 20 years old, still worked but could not keep the house as cool as expected in the 97 degree heat we had this summer. The AC company told me the average the heat pumps last in Florida is 10 to 15 years. We live about 3 miles from the Ocean but she lives 1 block from the Intercoastal Waterway, which is salt water so there is corrosion factors here. Anyway, my point is if your bill is too high I would check the efficiency of your system. We bought her a 16 SEER and that efficient. The least SEER that you can buy now is 13. My unit is 12 years old and my bill in reasonable this year. In the summer I get my highest bills and the most was $120 for July. In the fall, I hardly use any air or heat until the end of November or beginning of December so sometimes my bill is only $70 or so. My entire house is run on Electric, I have no gas, oil etc. So I would consider your system. If it is old, it needs to be replaced and the systems are super efficient right now.

Regular Contributor

We had the same problem here, and bought one of those roll-around portable air conditioners just for the bedroom (Q carries the same type). You attach a hose (big, about 4" around) to the unit and the other end to an adjustable slat that fits in the widow opening. Then you close the window onto the slat to hold it in place. Works great! Keeps the bedroom as cold as we like at night and since it's only one room we don't pay a huge bill for the whole house. Amortize the cost of the unit over the years and it's the best bargain we've ever bought. We've had it about 7 years; definitely will buy another if/when this one "blinks out"!!!!

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/31/2014 Smurfette said:

I live in the Northeast, but I noticed a huge increase in my electric bill as well. I keep my A/C set at 79 (when I use it), but thanks to a mild summer I have not even been running it much this summer. What gives? LOL. I was looking forward to small bill and it was HUGE! I think I only had the air on maybe 5 or 6 times in total this summer.

Omg, thats awful! Have you contacted them? Are you on a budget plan?

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor
On 8/31/2014 forest4thetrees said:

We had the same problem here, and bought one of those roll-around portable air conditioners just for the bedroom (Q carries the same type). You attach a hose (big, about 4" around) to the unit and the other end to an adjustable slat that fits in the widow opening. Then you close the window onto the slat to hold it in place. Works great! Keeps the bedroom as cold as we like at night and since it's only one room we don't pay a huge bill for the whole house. Amortize the cost of the unit over the years and it's the best bargain we've ever bought. We've had it about 7 years; definitely will buy another if/when this one "blinks out"!!!!

Very smart! Great news!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

I do not like level pay. Can't stand paying so much more in the winter, LOL. I'd rather pay the extra for three months and have the electric bill smaller when the gas bill is higher.

I'm in Kansas and my bill for July was $139. I keep my thermostat at 73 or 74, but if I get hot I will bump it down a degree of two, then turn it back up later.

I had to replace my AC unit 3 years ago and the new unit is bigger than recommended for my square footage. That means the unit does not work as hard, therefore, uses less electricity.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor
On 8/31/2014 crazered said: I too live in Midwest. I keep air on 74 during day and 73 night. We have ceiling fans that help. We live in story and half house . Our bedroom is upstairs and it's always warmer by 4-5 degrees. I can suffer some during day but like cooler to sleep. You might see if you can go on a level payment plan. Some people do this to budget. We also turn air off if it cools fown a few days.

I am on the level payment plan, thats why I was surprised~{#emotions_dlg.sad}

-- Mae West