Super Contributor

Best way to clean my new glass shower?

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}I just had my master bathroom remodeled, and I have a new glass rectangular shower with subway tiles inside. I have been running my fan until it dries. Hubby looked for a squeegee and do I use plan water?

Super Contributor

Re: Best way to clean my new glass shower?

I use a squeegee on our heavy glass shower doors, and then dry them with a towel after that. I don't dry the tiles, mainly because the shower walls are 11 feet high in 2 of our bathrooms, but run the bathroom exhaust fan while we're showering and for 5 minutes or so afterward. Our water softener helps a lot in terms of spotting.

Honored Contributor

I think that would depend on your water - hard water will leave deposits behind and soft water will not.

Respected Contributor

Be sure to ask your installers what type of caulk they used (assuming with a new remodel you installed a frameless glass shower). There is one type of caulk that will turn black and look moldy if you use certain cleaners with certain chemical compounds.

I learned this the hard way all my clear caulk turned brown/black due to the chemical reaction. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

I thought it was mold, until everyone who looked at it told me the same thing.

We are having someone come in to replace all of it. Shame it was brand new.

Honored Contributor

Skin So Soft, sold by Amazon, cleans scum off of glass, and about one hundred other tasks, google for a list.

Honored Contributor

I agree use a squeegee & towel dry. We also do this to the tile in the shower every day after we shower. I can't reach the tile all the way up but it does not get wet way up there either. Makes cleaning the bathroom so much easier.

Honored Contributor

When we had one I used a squgegee as well.

Contributor

Best thing for soap scum is 1 to 1/2 recipe of vinegar and blue dawn. Heat vinegar in microwave a 10 to 15 seconds, add in blue dawn. Pour into spray bottle and spray shower glass. Allow to sit, i keep it on for an hour or two but some do over night. Clean off with wet soft cloth, i use my steamer with a squeegee.
Respected Contributor

I use a squeegee on the glass after showering. We don't have hard water, so there are 0 spots! I've heard some people use Rain-x; it's a product used for car windshields to prevent streaks and spotting. Use that on clean glass, the water is supposed to just run off.

Honored Contributor

We just had our downstairs shower resurfaced along with our 40s vanity top with a process called Miracle Method. I've fallen in love with my bathroom - I'd say again but I never really liked it b/c it was old fashioned.

Anyway our guys who did the work told us scrubbing bubbles is good, 409 too. We talked about Rain-X too - great for showers, glass etc & use a squeegee. My guy on day 2 who unmasked everything else an d did detailing & final chalk told me that if we wipe it down after every shower and clean it once a week, we'd be good. Keep it clean from the get-go and it's easily maintained.