Respected Contributor

Happy Housewife, a ? for you

I'm still wringing my hands over paint color but I'm stuck on kilim beige. Seeing as you have it all over your house, have you been able to figure out its undertone? I think it will work, I love the color but, I have some floor tile that leans towards a sort of a peachy look, (didn't realize it when we bought it). Do you think kilim beige would work with a peachy tile? (My eyes are now glazing over from looking at paint colors!) lol TIA.

I've read that it's got red undertones, then I read yellowy. I'm getting very frustrated and fearful of making a very expensive mistake.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Happy Housewife, a ? for you

It has red undertones. However, depending on the lighting in your home and the furnishings, that could change. How it appears in one person's home is not necessarily how it will appear in your home. It would be best to buy a sample quart and put it up on various parts of your room.

Honored Contributor

Always bring samples home and see how they look in your lighting. So many factors can change how paint looks.
Valued Contributor

The color swatchs from S-W show the red, green and blue values for their shades, measured on a scale of 255 max. Here is Kilim Beige;

R-215 | G-201 | B-176

Respected Contributor

On 8/30/2014 2cockers1cat said:

The color swatchs from S-W show the red, green and blue values for their shades, measured on a scale of 255 max. Here is Kilim Beige;

R-215 | G-201 | B-176

OK, they're all pretty close but it looks like it would be red, and then maybe could show greenish. And lastly, blue. Geez, no wonder it's confusing. I would think it would be so easy for the paint companies to just list the undertone on the color description and save everyone a lot of wondering.

What do you think about it going with my sort of peachy looking tile? That is turning out to be my main dilemma.

Esteemed Contributor

That is a popular shade around here. I would purchase the little sample jar and paint it on a large piece of cardboard or posterboard. Have it in the room for several days and live with it. Every color looks different according to what side of the house and sun exposure it will have.

Valued Contributor

When we needed to pick a kitchen color for the house we were building, we chose 4-5 possibles, then brought the little paint swatch containers to the house and put them on the wall. Checked them over 2-3 days to see the shades at different times and lightings before deciding. There is lots of agonizing involved!! We picked a red-brown, 6342, Spicy Hue, R-155 | G-76 | B-50, from the orange collection.

Another number on the swatch color is LRV. That measures Light Reflective Value on a scale of 100. I think Kilim is 60. My color's value is 13. That worked for us because there is plenty of natural light in our kitchen, as well as reflective stainless appliances.

Honored Contributor

I am as confused as the OP. my DH - who is so color blind he doesn't even realize there are various shades of blue - is certainly no help. I think - in my home it looks like a cool grey taupe. SW says it is a warm beige. The designers who worked for our builder told me it is taupe - that's why i chose it and my girlfriend who is an interior designer says it is neutral and can easily go either cool or warm. I can tell you it is a fully saturated color that does a great job of showing off our white trim. This is not a pale beige. I have it in one room with dark brown and turquoise - looks amazing with those colors, and another room with dark burgundy - also beautiful and another room with navy looks very nice and another room with spring green. So as i look at this I do have it with warm burgundy and also cool blues and greens. I have one of our bathrooms decorated in seashells motif and that shell pink/ peachy color looks nice in there. Our lanai is partially enclosed and the walls out there are light yellow. The beige from the LR walls is visually right next to that yellow and it's fine - nothing bad in that combo either.

So - in conclusion - my decorator friend has never steered me wrong and she says it is a neutral that can go either way -- so I am going with that. She said that is why it is so popular among decorators - it is foolproof.

If I were going to repaint my house today I would repaint it in the same exact color. I love it - so soft to the eye but saturated and , honestly, just looks classy to me.

Respected Contributor

On 8/30/2014 colliegirls said:

That is a popular shade around here. I would purchase the little sample jar and paint it on a large piece of cardboard or posterboard. Have it in the room for several days and live with it. Every color looks different according to what side of the house and sun exposure it will have.

Well, believe me, I've got 22 of those little sample containers of different colors in the garage. Nothing seems to work for me, but after reading HH's post no. 7, I think she's sort of convinced me that the kilim beige may be OK in my house. I have never had this problem before in other homes but this tile color is just horrible when it comes to finding a color that looks good with it. My dh is going to put more of it on some poster boards and I'm going to tape them to different walls to see how it looks in different places.

Honored Contributor

On 8/30/2014 Tyak said:
On 8/30/2014 colliegirls said:

Well, believe me, I've got 22 of those little sample containers of different colors in the garage. Nothing seems to work for me, but after reading HH's post no. 7, I think she's sort of convinced me that the kilim beige may be OK in my house. I have never had this problem before in other homes but this tile color is just horrible when it comes to finding a color that looks good with it. My dh is going to put more of it on some poster boards and I'm going to tape them to different walls to see how it looks in different places.

I hope you love it - i do.