Regular Contributor
We just had a Home Goods store open this past week. It is the first of this chain in our area & I was super excited to finally get to shop at one. My question is about the quality of their merchandise. I found three tablecloths, the same pattern, in the three sizes of tables we use when entertaining & purchased them. I got one of them out today & threw it in the drier on the steam cycle to get the wrinkles out. I was greatly surprised to find a major flaw in the fabric -looked like it had been repaired (more like a darned sock from years ago). Is this typical of the quality at at HG? It is obviously seconds inventory. What has been your experience?
Trusted Contributor

I have never had any obvious defects in anything I have bought from HG in over 5 years of shopping. One of my favorite stops for home & holiday decor. Return for a replacement (open the pkg in the store obviously). They sometimes have the same items at Marshall's, their sister store.

Respected Contributor

I suspect their items are both seconds and overstock. I know to keep my receipt, check everything very carefully once I get it home and return it if it's not in good condition. That said, I've bought lots of placemats and napkins from there and I've never found a flaw.

Regular Contributor
Thanks, Kathy & Marsha, it is reassuring to know my experience is not typical I will check the other two tablecloths before trying to exchange the flawed one. I am really disappointed because I planned to use all three for my niece's bridal shower. The flawed one is the 60x84 which I had planned to use on our dining table for fall.
Super Contributor

I generally love HomeGoods but you really have to look carefully at what you buy - especially kitchen stuff.

1. About 6 months ago I purchased 2 Pyrex measuring cups - 1 was a 2 cup; and the other was a 1 cup. I threw them both out in the garbage over the weekend because after all the washing, the red lines + measurement numbers (i.e., 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, etc) were all gone.

2. Purchased a glass cake stand with glass cover and when I went to eventually use it, I found out that the cake stand was NOT flat - had a bump in the center. Seems like it wasn't made correctly and you can't put a cake on it for fear of damaging the cake.

3. Purchased a big wood cutting board that is starting to split in various places. This will also see the garbage can.

On the flip side, I've purchased many home decor items - some with flaws but so minor that they don't show to the naked eye.

Just my experience.

Esteemed Contributor

Some helpful info:

http://crackerjack23.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-truth-about-homegoods.html

Homegoods has great items, I love the store.

Honored Contributor

You do have to inspect carefully, because some items have flaws, but for the most part, I have been very happy with my purchases.

Honored Contributor

As stated already, you really do need to inspect everything either before you buy or as soon as you get it home if it's sealed (although I sometimes open sealed things up if they are easy to put back in.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor
On 8/28/2014 colliegirls said:

Some helpful info:

http://crackerjack23.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-truth-about-homegoods.html

Homegoods has great items, I love the store.

Really interesting article. Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

If you can't replace the large table cloth & need it for that party - is the flaw in a spot where you can either put it on the side of the table facing the wall, or cover it up with a dish/plate or bowl that WILL NOT BE LIFTED? In other words, work around it? Just a thought for now.