Honored Contributor

How to humanely get rid of bats?

We generally have one bat in the space between the house roof and the deck roof. But after years of letting this one go undisturbed, he has invited all his friends to his crash pad. I just went out on the deck after two weeks of hot weather when we didn't use it. I counted a good 20 bats in that crevice, and there are droppings all over the place. Reading online I see that the only deterrent they recommend consistently is mothballs. Since I would need a ladder to get the mothballs up there, and I don't do ladders, I'm hoping someone can recommend a spray that will get them packing but not kill them.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to humanely get rid of bats?

You need to identify their entry point. At dusk, when they go out to eat, place a barricade (netting) over the entry point area.

Esteemed Contributor

I know you don't want the bat droppings, but they do eat the flying insects.

I had trouble earlier in the season with bats devouring my hummingbird nectar! I had to pull the hum feeder in every night until I purchased a new feeder. I still want the bats! But I have no idea where they roost. Probably in our belfry, because it does get batty around here at times! Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

My family and I just went through this horrible bat experience. I say "Horrible" because what we thought was a small bat issue: seeing a few here and there in the eaves of our house, turned into a maternal nest colony that needed professional evacuation! If we had had an expert come evaluate the situation the first time we saw a single bat on our house, we would have saved $$$$! I really recommend having a professional company come and evaluate the issue you are having at your house. Hopefully, it will be a quick fix. I especially recommend a company coming to take care of the matter because bats are a protected species, carry disease, and usually guarantee their work to prevent re-colonization.

Respected Contributor

We've had someone come out three times to seal up any possible entry points, but they still manage to squeeze in somewhere.... At the ridge beam log at the high point of the roof. They are EXTREMELY persistent. They flatten themselves out so they can get into the tiniest cracks. I still have a few bats, after having professionals come out. ):
Frequent Contributor

Also, just a reminder to everyone, NEVER pick up or "play" with a bat on the ground. If they are out during daylight and/or "grounded," then they are sick. That usually means rabies. I agree that a professional should be called in if you have more than a couple of bats.

Respected Contributor

I used to live in a house that had at least one bat per year. We were not humane: we killed them (releasing them does no good--they just return). I spent several thousand dollars trying to get rid of them. However, nothing worked.

So finally I moved.

Honored Contributor

Undiluted ammonia sprayed where they roost will deter them from that spot. You have to reapply often to keep the odor strong so the bats don't come back.
Honored Contributor

Hire a professional. Look in your area and there should be people who specialize in removing bats without killing them. Hire someone who has the experience to tell you how to prevent them from coming back. You may be able to block the area off with mesh or do something else to block them from getting back on.

Respected Contributor

We had them last year and you have to hire a professional and have them removed. They do it humanelySmiley Happy. Good luck.