Honored Contributor

Do you ever wonder what it is like...

to live in a home so totally different than the one you do?

Some of us live in the country in a log cabin, some in a highrise apartment in the big city, some in a mobile home, some in a condo, some in a classic old brownstone, some in a two bedroom ranch in the suburbs, and so much more.

Have you always lived in the same type of home that you do now, or did you used to live quite differently? Would you like to try a different kind of a home some day (well, except the rest home that is)? Please share!

Super Contributor

Re: Do you ever wonder what it is like...

MY HUSBAND AND I STARTED OUT IN A TINY MOBILE HOME WHEN FIRST MARRIED IN THE 60S. WE HAD LITTLE MONEY. WENT FROM THAT TO AN APARTMENT AFTER MOVING TO ANOTHER STATE. APARTMENT TO OUR FIRST LITTLE HOME, A TINY 3 BEDROOM. FROM THERE TO A LARGER RANCH WITH 4 BEDROOMS AND TO OUR PRESENT HOME WHICH IS A 4000 SQ. FT 4 BEDROOM 5 BATH ONE STORY RANCH. WE ARE VERY COMFORTABLE HOWEVER..............OUR FONDEST MEMORIES ARE OF OUR TINY LITTLE MOBILE HOME THAT WE STARTED OUT IN !

Honored Contributor

I'd like to live in a home with lots of acreage. I'd like to raise horses and farm animals.

Respected Contributor

I've lived in many suburban apartments. I think they are usually called garden apartments to differentiate them from high-rise apartment buildings. These days, I live in a two-story, reverse plan single family residence. I think someday I'd like to live in a tiny Parisian apartment or an urban high-rise condo in Seattle, San Francisco or Vancouver.

Respected Contributor

On 8/27/2014 brewhaha said:

I'd like to live in a home with lots of acreage. I'd like to raise horses and farm animals.

I hope someday you will get to live your dream. It is a wonderful life.

Trusted Contributor

I've always lived in older homes with lots of detail, wood floors, etc. I'd like to live in a brand new, modern home if we ever move again.

Trusted Contributor

I have lived in my childhood home, then a couple of apartments in the burbs, now my townhome in a little neighborhood. My wish would be a country home on a little property. A little out of town, but close enough i could be in town in a few minutes Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

We have always lived in a ranch home. I have broken both legs 42 yrs. apart so I know how hard it is to climb stairs. In our nearest city there are only 2 high rise business'. I have always worked in a 1 story business. Most houses around here have basement because of tornados.

Respected Contributor

1st home: Trailor on the edge of town in a trailor court.

2nd home in town: 2 bedroom tiny house on one floor an attic and an unfinished basement. The laundry was in the basement, UGH!

3rd home in town: 3 bedroom two story house, but it was small.

4th home in town: Ranch 3 bedroom with a basement. Laundry on the main floor thankfully.

5th home edge of town: Large tri-level with a basement, so it was actually 4 levels. Bedrooms on top, laundry in the basement. What were they thinking when they built that house? What were we thinking for buying it?

5th and present home in the country: 3 bedroom larger earth contact home with gobs of windows. Love it where I'm at for now. It's all on one floor, but we have 3 acres and it is a lot of upkeep to think about in the future.

Honored Contributor

On 8/27/2014 brewhaha said:

Same here...

A log cabin or an old farm house...

The main reason to have a large acreage is to have NO NEIGHBORS! NONE, NADA, ZILCH!

And then of coarse, to have animals...ducks, chickens, goats, and a couple of cats and dogs.