Honored Contributor

A guy on House Hunters today ...

At the end when they visit the home a few months later the new young homeowner said " We plan to live here until we aren't able to get up and down the stairs anymore" I wonder if they have any idea how quickly that will happen ?

Respected Contributor

Re: A guy on House Hunters today ...

I'm 60 and still no problem with stairs. I did have an issue for about 2 years after I totally blew out my one knee, but therapy and consistent working it finally got me back to being able to take stair like a normal person rather than a 5 year old!

Honored Contributor

When we bought our Pittsburgh home we were 34 & 38 years old. It was a split entry - and it was on a hill in Pittsburgh. Steps outside to get to the door and 14 steps inside to get up to the living area. Once in the living area it was all on one level so at that time we felt like it was a home we could live in forever. It was also on a large lot that was hilly as well. As the years passed we both began to realize this was not the home where we could grow old. My DH was finding caring for the lawn and the landscaping increasing difficult and I was suffering terribly with all those steps. Dragging the laundry up & down from the basement etc was becoming almost impossible. When we went out to walk there was no direction that wasn't a steep hill. The decision became clear on a trip to florida -- it was time for us to get out of Pittsburgh and into a more appropriate home in a much more appropriate climate. As soon as possible we retired , went to our favorite Florida town and starting looking for a new home. While we do miss our old neighborhood I can't say either of us miss our old home or all the care it entailed. We live in a community now that was developed to meet the needs of seniors. All one level homes that are all wheelchair accessible. As a matter of fact there are very few buildings in our town that even have any steps at all. The rare buildings that are more than one floor all have elevators. Walking is wonderful - no climbing steep hills. Just comfortable strolls along the sidewalk or the boardwalk - for miles.

Respected Contributor

We moved into our last house some years ago, thinking that it was wonderful to have all the bedrooms upstairs and just the living areas on the main floor. (no basements here) Never gave much thought to the stairs.

Then my middle daughter was hit broadside by a teen in an SUV. Had to set up a hospital bed in the den and it was weeks before she was able to get upstairs to a tub or shower. Months before we could get rid of the bed.

Later DH had a massive stroke, and for five years we fought those stairs. NO MORE STAIRS FOR ME. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

Honored Contributor

One never knows what curve ball you will be thrown, health-wise. I am a big HGTV watcher. I especially like Love It or List It with Hillary and David. Most of those houses are three floors, three floors! Laundry, carrying little kids, nothing seems to keep them from tackling those stairs several times a day. Just wait, people, your time will come.

Regular Contributor

When we bought our "forever" home, hopefully, one of my first thoughts was that it is a ranch so we should be good as we age. And we are still here and I'm so thankful. I love my home. Its filled with family and love. And the only steps we have is to the basement. The one thing that makes me laugh about house hunters and those type of shows is when the perspective buyers complain about how small the bedrooms are, etc. When I think they are huge! Lol.
Respected Contributor

On 8/26/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

I'm 60 and still no problem with stairs. I did have an issue for about 2 years after I totally blew out my one knee, but therapy and consistent working it finally got me back to being able to take stair like a normal person rather than a 5 year old!

I am over 60 and have a prosthetic leg. I am up and down our steps countless times every day. Some days I'm slower than others , but aren't we all?

Super Contributor

I'm 61 with a 15-y/o teenager still home. I'm up/down stairs all day long. My friend says I ought to be skin 'n bones, but nope, a chunky monkey!

While nobody has a crystal ball to know if/when they'll become disabled, typically folks stay in multi-level homes til they retire and DOWNSIZE. If their home is already small but 2-story, they don't move til nursing home time.

Super Contributor

Love those home search and home renovation programs.

I've been blessed with good health and good legs. I'm almost 69 YO and still run up and down my stairs. In the past couple of days, I've gone stairs (up to the attic or down to the basement) at least 40 times each day. I know this could change in an instant but I'm thankful daily for the ability to be active.

Super Contributor

Eventual old age (said fondly....) and dealing with stairs was THE major consideration for me when purchasing my condo.

As a result, I purchased a first floor condo with NO stairs, even the indoor garage is on SAME level as my condo: park car inside, walk through door to building foyer to my condo door.

I even took out the bathtub in my second bathroom and made it a full shower with removable bench.

Seeing my mom and dad struggle to walk up/down stairs at their house + getting in/out of bathtub to take shower prompted me to be proactive now so I won't have to worry about it later on.