Valued Contributor

I need some tips from those who may have had wood flooring installed recently. What are some of the things I need to know before choosing one and things you wished you had known? Also, and this is a biggie. About how much can we plan on spending a square foot installed? I know the wood prices vary and I think we'd probably choose something about mid range.

Esteemed Contributor

Get prefinished flooring. It is quicker and easier for you. Also, get quotes from at least three suppliers. Have them separate out the cost of materials and labour. Some companies give you a good deal on flooring and kill you with high labour. Take a floor plan when you shop. The sales people are very knowledgable and can help you choose.

I use tile in very high traffic areas like entry doorways and high traffic halls as wood shows wear much more readily than tile. Talk to your salesperson about transitioning from one type of floor to another. Should look natural and seamless.

Although some people do it, I would not consider a wood floor in a kitchen, bathroom or laundry room. Wood and water don't mix well IMO.

Good luck! You will love your new hardwood floors. LM

Super Contributor

Lily has great suggestions! I agree with prefinished flooring. One of the things we dreaded to find out is if our sub floor was level and in good condition before installing the wood floor (we had carpet before that was in the house when we bought it). Luckily once the carpet was removed the installers found no problems.

As for cost, it can be quit a range depending on type (oak, bamboo, etc). I would look at recent reviews on those, and the brands. Our floor is by Bruce and we had it for 14 years now. Only have a few minor scratches even on the most high traffic areas and still looks great. I know the carpet we installed in the living room at the same time (and it wasn't cheap!) is looking pretty shabby now, so the wood was definitely a good buy!

Respected Contributor

We just had dark walnut prefinished wood floors laid last week. We love them. We had light ones in the house when we bought it and just wanted to change them out. Ours are real hardwood and they are the floating kind. This allows for changes in weather. We also had a top of the line moisture barrier put down under them. It cost $7000.00 for materials and labor. We had our kitchen, main floor powder room and entryway done. I don't know what the cost per square foot is because the contractor we have used for seventeen years did the job and we just got a completed price. Worth every penny!