Super Contributor

Who started decorating for Fall & what are your decorating plans ?

This August has been so unseasonably cool this year in the northeast . Even the sunlight seems more like September than Summer . The changes are making me think , about starting Fall decorating earlier than usual too . I'll probably use my usual decorating items , but I like to add something new each year , so it's not too "ho-hum" . This year it will be the set of 4 VPH Harvest words flameless candles . If you want to share how you're decorating this year , please do . I'm planning on adding a recipe or pretty Autumn photo , now & then . If you'd like to do the same , feel free to share . I haven't spotted one tree with changing leaves , but if anyone does , it'd make a great photo ! Enjoy the fun that comes with Autumn , everyone ! Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Re: Who started decorating for Fall & what are your decorating plans ?

Our entire summer's been a record-breaking cool one. But the heat and humidity have sadly come in the past 7-10 days and I refuse to do my fall decorating (inside and outside) til it's cooler! Typically I get my 24 huge mums for outdoors planted over Labor Day weekend, and then put my fall interior decor out soon thereafter. But not with 90*F tomorrow and highs near 90 all week with 90% humidity to boot! UGH!

Didn't even bother going to my favorite home decor shop that has its fall stuff out. I will try to go there for the fall open house in mid-Sept. Here's a picture of their lovely stuff:

Super Contributor

JJ , omg , where do you begin to look once you step in the door !? It's beautiful ! I love the candlesticks . We don't have any place like that around here . I don't blame you for waiting on decorating . If the weather was like that here , I wouldn't want to either . Honestly , I can't remember an August like this . There were probably 5 good swimming days all summer here . I don't feel so badly now , about taking down our pool for work on the sand underneath .......a critter had made tunnels everywhere & it needed to be addressed . Lucky for the guys ( DH , DS & friends , it was on the cool side. Btw , the mums must be a beautiful swath of color , can only imagine 24 huge mums around the house ! Do any survive the winter where you are ? I just place a few potted ones on the steps for a few weeks here . If they would survive the winter I might plant them tho . Such a pretty plant for a shot of color . Thanks for sharing the beautiful photo !
Esteemed Contributor

I started with just a few smallish things for now, but will hit it hard after Labor Day. I don't need much since I really went nuts last year; however, I just had to have a big basket of sunflowers. I went to Michaels and bought the sunflowers, basket, some candle rings, and a few garlands of leaves. A couple of weeks ago I went to Goodwill to find some pillars for candles as well as for my lighted pumpkins that I bought last year. I put my autumn wreath outside and a couple of candle rings as well as a branch of leaves to add to my lighted twigs that I already had inside. Can't wait to get out the pumpkins that I bought last year. Fall is my favorite season. Oh, and I just ordered an as is lighted mercury glass lamp from the Q.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Frequent Contributor

I have put out a few new things. A leaf platter from Home Goods, metal pumpkin shaped candle holders from Goodwill. I haven't gotten any boxes from our storage building yet. Things have been hectic here and really too hot.

Super Contributor

Two peas , that sounds pretty & so " country " with the sunflowers . That gives me an idea for next year too . Funny as I was at my brothers house yesterday & they had grown a bunch of them, in a corner of their yard . Who doesn't like sunflowers , right ? I bought some lighted twigs from the Q years ago , but lost the AC adapter ......so the twigs r sitting in my basement . Btw , someone was just telling me about the as is mercury glass lamps , on another thread ! I wanted the chocolate . Blue is pretty too , especially for Spring/Summer , IMHO . Which color did you order ? It's quite the savings , I was shocked . Enjoy the lamp & thnx for sharing !
Super Contributor

Nicancsmommy , oh the leaf platter you mentioned sounds pretty . It reminds me of a few small leaf plates ( or ashtrays ) that my mom made in a ceramics class , back in the 50's . I wish I had them for the sentiment , but they disappeared over the years . One was green, orange & I think a golden yellow too . If I ever see similar ones , I'm going to buy them . I hope the cool weather starts spreading across the rest of the country soon . Btw , I just received a crackle leaf vase , with mini lights inside . They have a timer too . I will try to post the photo on this thread . Thnx for sharing & when the weather cools & you add more decorations , please stop by again & share . Take care .
Super Contributor

http://images.qvc.com/is/image/h/93/h203593_848.102?$uslarge$ # H 203593 ...Crackle glass leaf vase with microlights by Valerie . ( sorry , but mobile device images aren't friendly with the Q site for some reason . I can try on the PC tomorrow )..... . but here's the item number...H 203593 . The vase is large ... It's 8" high by 6" diameter . The glass is thick too ....I'd guesstimate 1/8 in thick . It would look nice on a dining room table , or in a living room , with the lights scheduled to start at dusk . The timer gives 4-5 hrs of light ....can't remember , but it's listed on the product page . The painting is in autumn jewel toned colors, & the light shines thru the transparent leaves . I use it as a nightlight , but it's really substantial & IMHO makes a pretty Autumn statement , in a dining/living room . It's $19.95 right now , which IMO is a good deal when you see the hefty glass , crackle finish & well-done painting . They also offer it in a grape motif . That's pretty too . Perfect for California ! Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Super Contributor

On 8/24/2014 JamicaJammer said:

Our entire summer's been a record-breaking cool one. But the heat and humidity have sadly come in the past 7-10 days and I refuse to do my fall decorating (inside and outside) til it's cooler! Typically I get my 24 huge mums for outdoors planted over Labor Day weekend, and then put my fall interior decor out soon thereafter. But not with 90*F tomorrow and highs near 90 all week with 90% humidity to boot! UGH!

Didn't even bother going to my favorite home decor shop that has its fall stuff out. I will try to go there for the fall open house in mid-Sept. Here's a picture of their lovely stuff:

I love the store~ what's the name of it?? Very cute things!