Esteemed Contributor

I'm looking to buy 2 mattresses - and watched the Serta pitch on QVC last night. Beautiful mattresses at reasonable prices. I just googled "complaints serta" - what a shock. Hundreds of people who bought mostly iComfort Serta mattresses all have major sagging issues after a few months. Some of them paid $2,000 to $4,000 for the mattress. They now have aches and pains and have to sleep in another room - as they're suffering from that darn horrible mattress. I realize that QVC is pitching cheaper versions of Serta - but I wonder if the same thing will happen to these mattresses. The mattress manufacturers are aware of this problem - and even with the long warranties - they laugh in ur face. No one ever gets a new mattress. What a SCAM. People are helpless - they don't know how or where to complain. QVC needs to find another vendor for their mattresses. I know I won't buy a Serta. There are also complaints against Sealy - but not as many.

This week I will head down to The Sleep Shoppe nr my house in Oxnard, CA and buy 2 mattresses. Now that I'm educated about Serta and Sealy, I hope they can tell me what's going on and sell me "2-full, well-made mattresses that cost around $500 each" -- people should never have to pay more than $900 for a king-size mattress. The mattress business is beyond SCAMMY!!!! They come up with Plush, Pillow Top, Deeper mattresses, etc. --- to charge more - and give less.

Regular Contributor
ITA!
Trusted Contributor

I hear you! The mattress business is a racket anymore. I think it went downhill when they switched everything to no-flip mattresses. The salesman at Sleepy's even told us they were making them cheaper. We had bad luck with a Stearns and Foster sagging on us really quickly-surprisingly we were able to get $1600 credit for it through Sleepy's. I know most of the time mattress warranties are useless. Make sure you keep a mattress cover on at all times or the warranty will be void. Next we got a Laura Ashley mattress, I forget what company makes it, and it's been pretty good but after 5 years it's doing the sag. I dread looking. We do have a new Serta in our spare bedroom that we bought at Sears. It's very comfortable but not yet sure how it will hold up. I've liked the Sealy Hybrid mattresses I've looked at, like the combo of regular mattress and gel foam. Anyway, I know what you mean, the complaints online are endless! Good luck in your search. Let us know how you do!

Esteemed Contributor

I was just watching the Serta segment with that easy-going, very likeable guy from Serta -- and Rick --- selling, selling, selling. They keep talking about the 10-year warranty. Serta knows there's thousands of problems with their mattresses - they sag (and other problems) - and they don't stand behind their warranty. QVC - wake up to Serta. I would like to hear from people buying these mattresses in a year or two -- and get their opinions. Not sure if the problem mattresses are the ones on QVC --- or mostly the pillowtop and high-end mattresses.

Trusted Contributor

We have a high end Serta pillow top mattress and hate it! The warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. It's uncomfortable, sags. I have never heard of anyone getting a replacement from them. They cost an arm and a leg so you assume you are getting a nice bed but sadly you are not. I would never purchase from them again.

Regular Contributor
I had issues with all the brands serta, sealy and simmons beautyrest. The simmons we had three replacements after three months each one was defective. Finally got a stearns and foster with no issues. Did you ever wonder why they will not honor a warranty if there is a mark on the mattress? Why are they repacking them and reselling them? Why else? If they do not resell the returned mattresses then why care if there is a stain or mark on it
Trusted Contributor
I recently bought a mattress from Sleepys. Of course, I laid down on it for about 10 minutes and it was very comfortable, I can't sleep on a hard mattress and this was a softer pillowtop. It was made by King Koil, they are one of the oldest mattress companies around. Well, it was delivered to my home and I was having contracting work done because my entire top floor was damaged by the hurricane. So after the contractors left I was able to get into my bedroom and sleep on my mattress. I was up all night in such pain because this mattress was much harder than the one I tried out. I tried again for a week thinking I had to get used to it but it was no better, hardly getting any sleep. I went to sleepys and told the salesman how harder mine was and again went over and laid down on the mattress, which felt completely different. Unfortunately they give you 30 days, and I wasn't able to sleep on it until the 35th day, so I was told by the salesman to call Sleepys CS and tell them what happened and they would be happy to help me and maybe give me another mattress. WRONG! The woman was so nasty, she said that the mattresses in the store have been used by many customers so of course they will feel softer, well why wasn't I told that by the salesman? If he told me that, I would have never bought the mattress. She then went on to say I would have to pay $200 disposal fee, a disposal fee for a mattress I slept on for a few hours since my back hurt so much I slept on my couch, I would have to purchase another mattress for the same amount or more plus pay a delivery charge of $100. Again, I told her the salesman never told me any of this because if he did I would have walked right out the door. I went out and bought a feather bed, didn't work, bought one of those foam toppers, no better. She told me i can't do anything for you. So I have a mattress that I'm stuck with and not able to sleep in. I was thinking of buying a latex topper but they only have them online. Does anyone have one? They are quite pricey. I have an appt. with Consumer Affairs in my area to see what they can do for me. So, my recommendation to any of you, keep far away from Sleepys.
Honored Contributor
You might want to check out the Slumber1 and Spa Sensations mattresses at Walmart's website. They get rave reviews and are very affordable. Even the consumer site sleeplikethedead.com gives them rave reviews. You're buying them without being able to test them yourself, but those who have taken the plunge seem very, very happy.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

We used to have Stern's and Foster, now have had a Beautyrest for years ( yes, way past 8!. My mattresses are totally encased in a cover). LOVE the Beautyrest, cannot feel my husband move at all. I did not want any sleep number or pillowtop or any other extra, just a plain good mattress and that is what we have.

Honored Contributor
We have a new Simmons a Beautyrest Black Series. We've had it about. 6 weeks. It's a combination spring and foam. My husband likes it. The jury is out for me. It seems comfortable, but I'm not sure my neck is happy with it. We got the firmest one they had.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?