Super Contributor

Storing "Half-Clean" Clothes -- Any Clever Ideas?

Hoping you might have some great ideas about a specific storage dilemma I have all the time. Maybe I'm the only one who has it, but here goes:

I tend to be pretty organized, which to me means that everything has a place it belongs. (Even if it isn't IN its place all the time, it has one.) But I can't find a place for clothes that I've worn once, and I want to wear again before I wash them, but not necessarily in the next day or two.

My closets are on the small side, so there isn't a separate section I can set aside for this use. Besides, with the exception of some of my jackets and sweaters, I don't really want to put these things in with my clean clothes.

So I always seem to have a half a dozen shirts and pants and things sitting out or hanging on the door or something, looking messy. Sometimes they end up in the wash just so I have a place to put them. Silly! And wasteful.

What do all you clever people do with your "half clean" clothes?

Super Contributor

Re: Storing ""Half-Clean"" Clothes -- Any Clever Ideas?

Get a door hook and hang them on the back of the closet and on the back or front of the closet or bedroom door.
Contributor

I have huggable hangers (HSN)and use Sapphire Blue hanger's for my clean clothes and I have a dozen Turquoise hangers for anything that I want to get a second wearing out of before I wash it. Everything goes in the closet.

Trusted Contributor

On 8/24/2014 dew81 said:

I have huggable hangers (HSN)and use Sapphire Blue hanger's for my clean clothes and I have a dozen Turquoise hangers for anything that I want to get a second wearing out of before I wash it. Everything goes in the closet.

Brilliant idea!

KJPA
Super Contributor

Hey, dw81, that is a great idea. Duh! Why didn't I think of that? I use that kind of hangers, too. And if all the designated hangers are full, it's time to wear 'em or wash 'em, right?

Do you also hang the things you normally fold when they're clean?

Honored Contributor

On 8/24/2014 dominosmom said: Get a door hook and hang them on the back of the closet and on the back or front of the closet or bedroom door.

Yep.

But I use single hooks and an expandable or multi hook over-the-door rack.

You can also do this with towel items in the bathroom.

Honored Contributor

In my closet, I have a section to one side for clothes that have been worn once but can be worn again before washing. I use huggable hangers for my clothes and use hangers that are different as dividers for different sections of my closet.

Valued Contributor

I don't do any thing differently except to turn things inside out and put them back on the hanger from which they came. That's how I tell.

I air them outside the closet overnight, then hang them back in the closet still inside out. Next time I get them out, I know this is the last wear.

I also have a basket for other similarly worn once clothes/underthings that you don't normally hang.

Valued Contributor

Kay SD:

If it's clean enough to wear a second time then it's clean enough to be put away with the rest of my clothes is how I feel. As long as the item does not have an odor of any kind it goes back in with the rest and waits its' turn again.

However, if you feel you want to segregate them from the rest, set aside a small part of your closet and keep those already worn clothes together in that place.

Maria

Respected Contributor

My husband is famous for throwing his half clean clothes all over the bedroom. It drives me crazy. I never know what is clean or dirty. Funny thing is he never seems to wear them again. I just hang mine back in the closet if only worn for a few hours.