Respected Contributor

What is the purpose of a coverlet ?

I will be re doing my bedroom and I heard Dennis Basso mention a coverlet. I had never heard of this term. Is it necessary to purchase one in addition to my comforter ?
Honored Contributor

Re: What is the purpose of a coverlet ?

Is a coverlet the same as a duvet cover?

Respected Contributor

A duvet has a pocket to slip in a comforter. A coverlet is a topper used over a bedspread; think of it as the final cover or "blanket" on top of the bed rather than between the bedspread and sheet. They are often of a heavy weight cotton and of a single color with an woven pattern. They were popular in my grandmother's day, and my mother received one as a wedding gift in 1944--a beautiful ivory coverlet made in England in 1868. Maybe they were used to protect the more colorful quilts? I have one on my guest bed folded at the end of the bed for extra warmth if needed in winter.

Contributor

A coverlet is the same as a matelasse. It is made like a quilt, I should say stitched like a quilt, but without any stuffing like a comforter has. I change out my comforter every summer for a coverlet because it adds some warmth and weight over the top sheet without being hot. It isn't necessary to have one, but once you sleep under one in the summer months, I think you might like it. Also, they can be very pretty too.

Honored Contributor

It's just a lightweight bedspread usually in comforter size, not all the way to the floor. They're usually used in summer in lieu of a comforter.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Comes in handy if the power goes out

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

It's just a shorter bedspread that's made to show a dust ruffle as opposed to a bedspread that goes to the floor. As a capelet is a shorter cape, a coverlet is a shorter bedspread.
Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 mamalady said:

A coverlet is the same as a matelasse. It is made like a quilt, I should say stitched like a quilt, but without any stuffing like a comforter has. I change out my comforter every summer for a coverlet because it adds some warmth and weight over the top sheet without being hot. It isn't necessary to have one, but once you sleep under one in the summer months, I think you might like it. Also, they can be very pretty too.

Matelasse is not the actual object such as a coverlet or bedspread, but the solid colored fabric with the stitching method you described - sewn to look padded and quilted, but without the batting.

Valued Contributor

The purpose of a coverlet? To keep the dog and cat hair off of the comforter! At least that's how it works in my house

Super Contributor

On 8/24/2014 mewsmomtoo said:

The purpose of a coverlet? To keep the dog and cat hair off of the comforter! At least that's how it works in my house

My house too.