Honored Contributor

Which would you prefer, and why?

If you were going to set a formal table for dinner, and choosing a very neutral pallet using the color cream as the base for linens and dishes, would you prefer to accent with gold or with silver?

I know you can go either (and loads of other) way, but if those were your only two choices, which would you pick to accent with? Accent things like MG, candlesticks, napkin rings, center pieces etc. Also, why would you choose the one that you do.

Respected Contributor

Re: Which would you prefer, and why?

I would choose gold because there is more contrast with the cream compared to the silver. Silver and cream would look washed out IMO.

Honored Contributor

I vote for gold, as well. Why? Any light projected onto the gold will reflect like candlelight, yes? It's just a warmer feeling...especially since it's a formal setting,

Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 happygal said:

I would choose gold because there is more contrast with the cream compared to the silver. Silver and cream would look washed out IMO.

That was my first thought as well, then I ran across a blog called Confessions of a Plate Addict, and she did some cream and silver and it was very beautiful. It did lack the pop that gold gives, but pretty still.

I have never cared for "silver", but as of late, with all the MG influences, I'm starting to take notice and like it.

Honored Contributor

Hi, I would definitely use Gold with the cream because they both are a warm color. My thoughts turn to what kind of eating utensils (forks, knives & spoons) you'll be using. I've seen the gold finish but most seem to be silver. I wonder about that.

Esteemed Contributor

mominohio, I would choose gold with cream, because I think silver goes better with true white. And speaking of dishes, thanks for the fun yesterday! I like the idea of "Concentric Bowls" in gold on cream. Could you do me a favor and check out my last post on that thread we were on yesterday? I need to know if my pictures (emoticons) showed up. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I think.It depends on the decor scheme in your home. If you have warm.tones, then go with the gold. Cream shades can vary in their warmth. I have cool neutrals in my home, and I accent with silver.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 kittymomNC said:

mominohio, I would choose gold with cream, because I think silver goes better with true white. And speaking of dishes, thanks for the fun yesterday! I like the idea of "Concentric Bowls" in gold on cream. Could you do me a favor and check out my last post on that thread we were on yesterday? I need to know if my pictures (emoticons) showed up. Thanks!

Oh yes! They showed up alright! But I kind of doubt the subject will "get it". You're too funny!

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/23/2014 mominohio said:
On 8/23/2014 kittymomNC said:

<em>mominohio,</em> I would choose gold with cream, because I think silver goes better with true white. And speaking of dishes, <em>thanks for the fun yesterday!</em> I like the idea of <em>"Concentric Bowls"</em> in gold on cream. Could you do me a favor and check out my last post on that thread we were on yesterday? I need to know if my pictures (emoticons) showed up. Thanks!

Oh yes! They showed up alright! But I kind of doubt the subject will "get it". You're too funny!

Thank you so much! I had posted one emoticon on another thread and someone said it didn't show up, so I wanted to be sure about that one. If you read my last two posts and her last post to me, it was a doozy! I decided not to take the bait, so I think she will "get it" -- all she wants is a response so she can keep up her tirades, and I decided not to give it to her. You know the old thing about "thumbing your nose" at somebody???{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

Probably gold, but it would depend on the specific accessory pieces. Silver could be quite pretty too. I tend to think gold adds warmth while silver adds a cooler look, so it would also depend on the look I wanted to achieve, but overall, I think a dining experience should tend toward a warm environment.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...