Respected Contributor

Dear Friend of Boyds,

In 2008, Enesco® purchased one of the leading plush and figurine brands in the industry, Boyds® Bears. Its reputation for excellence in the gift market had been well established by you in your support and devotion to Boyds. From the upscale materials used for the hand-cut fur in varying colors on each bear, the design of the muzzle and overall face, the apparel grade fabrics used in outfitting the bears, to the technology in their jointed bodies, Boyds Bears symbolized a recognized look and renowned quality to loyal fans and collectors.

Enesco carried that mission even further by updating the costuming, introducing on-trend themes and launching innovative new formats such as Cuddle-Bums™ to the collection. Along each step of the way, it was your dedication to the well-appointed plush collection, Treasure Boxes, Bearstone figurines, and our Friends of Boyds® Collectors Club, which made our job in bringing Boyds to market so rewarding.

Due to the rising cost of manufacturing and materials, and the labor intensity required to deliver this award winning collection, it has become much more difficult to develop this beloved brand to the standards you deserve. This is true not only in plush, but also in the figurine collection, based on the level of detail required for Treasure Boxes and Bearstone figurines.

Sacrificing quality, detail or workmanship of this beautiful brand is not even a remote consideration, so we’ve made the difficult strategic decision to place Boyds into hibernation effective December 31, 2014.

Will Boyds re-emerge at a later date? It is a possibility, but for now it deserves the respect of a well earned “rest.” In 2015, Snowpinions™ Plush will move to Department 56 to join the Snowpinions brand.

We thank you for your many years of loyalty and devotion to the Boyds brand, whether it has been bringing it into your home, or bestowing it as a gift to someone very special. We encourage you to take advantage of the next few months to search for all of your Boyds favorites in retail stores while they are still available. You may use our retailer locator function on www.boydsstuff.com to find those last must-have bears that you simply want to add to your collection.

It’s never easy to say farewell. We can assure you that we are going to miss you as much as you will miss Boyds.

Sincerely,

Boyds PawYour Friends at Boyds

Regular Contributor

Sad to hear about this. I collected a few of the stuffed Boyd's years ago when they first were on air, and a few of the resin pieces at Hallmark and on air as well. The collecting age seems to have gone by the wayside. Just like dolls and die cast cars (my husband collected). We only bought what we truly liked. Now you see so much of these items at flea markets and second hand shops, E-Bay etc. going for very little money. Times change and so does the collecting market. Now we look at down sizing some of these items, but doubt they will bring much in money for them as they may have done at one time.

Valued Contributor

Although I haven't purchased any in years and years, I especially liked the Boyd's black and white stuffed plushes when Gary and then Liz presented them. Wonder whatever happened to Gary.

Maria

Valued Contributor

I purchased more than my fair share of Boyd's Bears from QVC. Gary was the driving force behind such wonderful sales I am sure. I loved him and his crazy ways, but some people say he was offensive but never for me. I have a huge box of my bears and lots of other Boyd's products out in the garage. Sad I should give them to charity or something?

I also collected dolls for quite a while and gave that up as well. I was lucky enough to sell most of my doll collection before the value went down to nothing.

All of the collection shows were so much fun and we really looked forward to seeing them.

Times change. huh?{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I have so much of their stuff taking up room in my closet! You can't even get rid of them on Ebay! I really need to get rid of them, I can use the room!

Respected Contributor
I loved Boyd's Bears. I got hooked on them but when Gary was no longer presenting them, I stopped watching the shows. My daughter still loves all of the figurines she collected. I gave away some of the bears to little kids in my neighborhood. I can't part with so e of them.
Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

I had quite a few bears and now realize it was such a waste of money. The only people that made out are Boyds Bears and QVC.

I will NEVER buy that household dust collector stuff again. I can't even give them away. (I guess I can box them up and give to Goodwill like I did the dolls).

Honored Contributor

About 20 years ago a patient I had cared for after her open heart surgery sent me a boyds bears cookie jar and salt & pepper shakers that were all nurse and patient bears. They are so cute. The nurse bear is giving the patient bear a pill - only it is really a cookie. I just love it.

Honored Contributor

I bet once the store is closed down, ebayers will buy. I have bought some there in the past, here, HSN, and at Macy's at Christmas.

Contributor

That's sad. I haven't bought a Boyds bear in many years, but those shows were my all-time favorite ones.