Trusted Contributor

How to refuse someone who invites herself to stay for a week at your house

My husband's cousin from out of state sort of invited herself over for an upcoming week. She wants to use my house as a base and then go to a city 2 hrs. away to see her sister. Her sister has only a 1 bedroom apt, so she can't stay there. I have only met this person a few times and don't really feel close enough to have to plan activities, meals etc for her, let alone clear away all the clutter I have. Is there a nice way to say "no?" I would probably be welcome at her condo if I ever wanted to visit her, but that isn't likely. By the way, my husband has passed away, so it would just be the 2 of us.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to refuse someone who invites herself to stay for a week at your house

I would tell her I had other plans and could not have company. I wouldn't hesitate.
Valued Contributor

If she's allergic to cats get one. Quick! ;-) Honestly, I don't know. Very hard situation to be in.

Respected Contributor

Tell her that you would be happy to make a hotel reservation for her nearby, but it would not be convenient for you to have house guests at this time!
Super Contributor

Why do you feel that you have to plan activities, meals, etc. for her? From what you posted it seems as though you will just be providing a crash pad, and she will busy herself with activities of her own choosing.

Honored Contributor

Tell her YOU have company that week.

Esteemed Contributor

Did you like her when you met and saw her? You may want to join her if you did. If you don't want to just say it is not a good time and end it with "" maybe some other time"".

Super Contributor

On 7/31/2014 Tissyanne said: I would tell her I had other plans and could not have company. I wouldn't hesitate.
There you go, perfect solution. No explanation needed.
Honored Contributor

On 7/31/2014 gazelle77 said:
On 7/31/2014 Tissyanne said: I would tell her I had other plans and could not have company. I wouldn't hesitate.
There you go, perfect solution. No explanation needed.

Short & to the point. Do not give an explanation; she will find a way around any reason you give.

Regular Contributor

I don't feel it is necessary to make excuses......the answer is "no"......my home, no apologizes......Kiss