Super Contributor

Moving an Antique Bedroom Set: Any Suggestions?

We are having new flooring put down in one of our bedrooms, and I think the worst part is moving our antique bedroom furniture out of the room. It's very heavy and has all of the original hardware,etc. When we had it moved in, specialty movers picked it up and took it apart and put it back together for us. That's not an option this time. Would the E Z move slides help? Do they make them with rollers on them? I would appreciate any suggestions on moving this set in the safest and most efficient way. Thanks, Mags

Respected Contributor

Re: Moving an Antique Bedroom Set: Any Suggestions?

I would definitely not try to move an antique bedroom set.

I have 2 from the 1930's and they are massively heavy.

Gorgeous and heavy.

Do not forget the wood is aged so it can be vulnerable in certain places with stress spots that will compromise if shifted or moved incorrectly.

Look for true professionals to move it and then return to reinstall it after the floor

is completed.

If you cannot locate any call various antique shops and ask them for their recommendations, as they would know who you can pay to do this specialized work for you.

Remember once an antique bedroom set is harmed in any way, it loses a lot of its value, and depending on the damage sustained, it may never look or feel right again.

I have the E-Z move glides and those other movers rope type moving products, but would never in my wildest dreams ever consider using them on antique furniture so cherished, treasured and highly valued.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I don't see why using the ez gliders would be so dangerous for any type of furniture! They are the best invention. I use them all the time and I have a lot of very delicate and big, heavy furniture! Moving your heavy furniture around the room is easy but moving it out of the room is going to be a big challenge. Good luck.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/29/2014 MagnoliaMs said:

We are having new flooring put down in one of our bedrooms, and I think the worst part is moving our antique bedroom furniture out of the room. It's very heavy and has all of the original hardware,etc. When we had it moved in, specialty movers picked it up and took it apart and put it back together for us. That's not an option this time. Would the E Z move slides help? Do they make them with rollers on them? I would appreciate any suggestions on moving this set in the safest and most efficient way. Thanks, Mags

Hi Mags,

We used a movers dolly under each end of the furniture piece. It worked effortlessly. Here is a photo as an example of what we used. Just wanted to show you this as a possible option. Perhaps you know someone who has these and will let you use them?

Super Contributor

On 7/30/2014 SHOPR said:
On 7/29/2014 MagnoliaMs said:

Hi Mags,

We used a movers dolly under each end of the furniture piece. It worked effortlessly. Here is a photo as an example of what we used. Just wanted to show you this as a possible option. Perhaps you know someone who has these and will let you use them?

Hi SHOPR! This looks great. Where do I find these? I'm really concerned about moving the bedroom set. It took the movers all afternoon to move it last time, and they were professionals.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/30/2014 MagnoliaMs said:
<br />

Hi SHOPR! This looks great. Where do I find these? I'm really concerned about moving the bedroom set. It took the movers all afternoon to move it last time, and they were professionals.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know for certain. My dad made some years ago, and we used his. A quick internet search shows Harbor Freight, Lowes, etc. as possible places to find them in-store.

One other thing to think about with these. It does take strength for some lifting, and it's best to have two or three people. This is because someone has to lift the end of the furniture off the ground high enough for someone else to roll the dolly underneath and into position. Once both dollies are in place, though, it should be smooth sailing, assuming the furniture will fit through the doorway.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution. Enjoy your new flooring once it's done.

Honored Contributor

When I had hardwood flooring installed in my bedroom, no furniture was moved out of the room. The installers moved a section at a time. I only had to remove everything from the tops of the furniture. If memory serves me correctly, they did use my E Z slides/lifter. Not sure, however, that my furniture is quite as heavy as yours sounds to be.

Super Contributor

Hi Mags--We've used our EZ moves glides for everything--even our 1910 player piano (weighing believe it or not, nearly a whopping 1,000 lbs!) I like them because you only need lift the furniture a smidge to slide them under. Lighten your load by removing all the drawers first. This will help a lot. I'd also look into the method used by Krimpette's installers--sounds like a good plan!

Esteemed Contributor

You can rent the furniture dolly at any U-Haul rental store. Rent it for when you need it and return it. No need to invest $ in your own if it's a temporary need.

I picked up my own bedroom suite from the builder and trucked it home. I called Moving Helpers (check U Haul's website). I hired 2 guys for them to move my bedroom set off the trucks and up a flight of steps.

These guys will move a fridge, piano, pool table, etc. Most do not offer truck services, just the labor. They charge by the hour and rates are posted. They do not get paid until you give the ok that your job is satisfactory and the funds are then released to the mover.

Super Contributor

On 7/30/2014 LoopyLoo said:

Hi Mags--We've used our EZ moves glides for everything--even our 1910 player piano (weighing believe it or not, nearly a whopping 1,000 lbs!) I like them because you only need lift the furniture a smidge to slide them under. Lighten your load by removing all the drawers first. This will help a lot. I'd also look into the method used by Krimpette's installers--sounds like a good plan!

Thanks, LoopyLoo. That's good news about the E-Z sliders. I'm still trying to decide between these and going to the U Haul to rent something. One of the other ladies mentioned the movers didn't move hers at all, but just moved it around the room they weren't working on. Thinking about this.too!