Respected Contributor

We are redecorating our bedroom and I want to put something different on the wall above the headboard. Right now I have a painting but I'm getting tired of it so I want something different.

Can any of you who enjoy design give me any ideas? The furniture in the room is Mission Style.

What do most of you have on the wall above your beds? Notice I said on the wall not on the ceiling. We're too old for that. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

Re: Bedroom design question.

Most people do one of the following:

framed artwork/canvas/photos

metal sculpture

framed mirror

decorative screen

tapestry/quilt/wallhanging

collage of plates of different sizes

Honored Contributor

My advice - don't hang anything too heavy above the headboard, because if it does fall when you are in the bed, you could get seriously injured. Personally, I would be scared to death to hang a heavy metal sculpture or mirror over my bed. I like the idea of a tapestry or quilt-like hanging since you bedroom is mission style.

Honored Contributor

Here are some items from Pier1.

Sunset Mosaic Rectangular MirrorArched Gate Wall DecorMetal & Rattan Wall Decor Assemblage of Birds Art Window Clip Frame - White Fish Wall Decor Branch SconceGujarat Wall DecorWooden Eternal Mirror Kingston Collage Frame

Also, if you find something that is too small in scale, you can also group similar items to make the item appear larger, like in the case of these below. (I'm not a bird person myself, but I wanted to show you what I'm talking about).

Blue Bird Framed Wall Decor Green Bird Framed Wall Decor Yellow Bird Framed Wall Decor Red Bird Framed Wall Decor

Super Contributor

On 7/28/2014 wilma said:

My advice - don't hang anything too heavy above the headboard, because if it does fall when you are in the bed, you could get seriously injured. Personally, I would be scared to death to hang a heavy metal sculpture or mirror over my bed. I like the idea of a tapestry or quilt-like hanging since you bedroom is mission style.

When we moved a year ago, after many years in our previous home, we made the decision not to hang anything at all above our bed for the very reason that you gave. We have euro shams against our king size headdboard, then the king pillows that we sleep on, then king shams, and throw pillows in front of them. With all of that, we don't notice the lack of anything on the wall above it.

Valued Contributor

How about a wreath or a swag of some sort!

Beckyblu

Valued Contributor

How about a shelf? We had one made that was similar to a mantle i.e. not L brackets with a board that was the width of our bed. We had it painted it, or you could stain it. I used old books, a camel hump clock and various other family pieces. We lived in So. Cal and it never once fell due to earthquakes. I really miss it.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Honored Contributor

A framed, antique, asian scarf.

Loved for years, didn't wear for fear of damage or loss, finally occurred to me to have it framed.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I bought a fabulous metal wall art from Wayfair for our livingroom back in January. It only cost $50. Unfortunately it's sold out, so I can't even give you an item #.

However, you can still see what I got by googling "Giftcraft Tree with Bird Design Wall Decor" and click on the link that is connected to either Pinterest or Walmart. You should then see a tree with 5 birds in it...that's what I got...it's AWESOME!

I did find another one that would probably suit being above a headboard a bit better since it is wider and not as tall. There is also just 2 birds in it, so it can represent you and your hubbie! If we didn't have our wedding pic where it is, even I would get it!!!

To see it, go to Giftcraft dot com and put in their search engine item #082155. The only problem is, I can't figure out how you order it if you like it...might have to call or email them.

Above our bed headboard (not on the ceiling {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}) is one of our wedding pics, framed and blown up to about 2'x3'. We're by the beach in Florida {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

On 7/28/2014 Susan Louise said:

I bought a fabulous metal wall art from Wayfair for our livingroom back in January.