Honored Contributor

How about "whimsy" in home decor? Do you like it?

With all the holiday shows lately, much of the home decor items are what Q will call "whimsical". This is defined differently by many, but for our purposes here, lets try to define it as home decor items that are character like, child like (kids would be fascinated excited about it). For instance, most gingerbread people and accessories are whimsical to me. There are a very few out there that are more old world or antique looking and I don't consider them whimsical. Another example might be snowmen, most are whimsical, but those that are listed under Lisa Robertson's Christmas items are more rustic, so I wouldn't consider them whimsical, though others might disagree with these definitions. Any home decor that contains Disney characters, like some Jim Shore, is whimsical to me.

Do you like to decorate for the holidays or with any other season of decor, with items that are whimsical, or are you more sophisticated in your decor choices? Did you use more whimsy when your kids were young or for the grandkids? Feel free to offer up your own idea of what you think is "whimsical".

Respected Contributor

Re: How about ""whimsy"" in home decor? Do you like it?

Thanks for starting some thought-provoking threads today.

Frequent Contributor

I do some rooms with whimsy at Christmas, and have one bedroom I'm doing with bright colors that might be considered a bit whimsical, but the rest of my house during the rest of the year is not. Good topic!

Respected Contributor

There are teddy bears in my living room. One on the sofa, another on the love seat. A stuffed kitty sits on top of my hutch, and there are 4 porcelain dolls either standing or sitting on a bench.

Honored Contributor

We don't have kids...sometimes I decorate with 'whimsy', sometimes I don't...

I don't consider 'whimsy' to be childish...

We all decorate to what makes us happy, don't we? So who can judge what others decide to decorate with...whether it's whimsy or not...comes from a dollar store, thrift shop or fifth ave? Smile

Just like snappyfrappy, I have teddy bears around our home...some in the kitchen and a few in our bedroom. The one most special to me is a big teddy bear DH gave me in the hospital the day I woke up from my lung cancer surgery...bless his heart! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Nearing 11 yrs as a survivor {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Susan Louise said:

Susan Louise, there are to me, different levels of whimsy, some is very child like/centered, and some is not. I've noticed that Q is carrying more whimsical items, especially for holiday, that are like that. I'm guessing there must be a big market for it, as they offer more all the time.

Honored Contributor

I think you did a good job defining whimsical--I think it's just something that is FUN as opposed to something more classic or elegant. -I have Jim Shore snowmen, santas, and cats to me they are whimsical. I also have a couple of snowmen (not JS) that I use in my Christmas kitchen decorating and they are also whimsical. .....My Jim Shore angels (traditional) and a couple of special angel pieces (vintage).

For Christmas I do vintage with traditional with red and green color scheme and multi-colored lights on my tree....For ornaments I use antique, vintage and some whimsical....Also have whimsical Christmas accent and decorating items.

Actually I do have whimsical decor items that I use throughout the year for other seasons and holidays too. Would VPH rabbits be considered traditional or whimsical? I also have some Jim Shore rabbit themed pieces for Spring/Easter and his patriotic cat for patriotic holidays....

No kids or grand kids (2 nephews and a niece)...but a friend of mine brings her grand kids over from time to time...but I mostly do whimsy for myself...makes me happy!!!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 mominohio said:
On 7/27/2014 Susan Louise said:

Susan Louise, there are to me, different levels of whimsy, some is very child like/centered, and some is not. I've noticed that Q is carrying more whimsical items, especially for holiday, that are like that. I'm guessing there must be a big market for it, as they offer more all the time.

I edited/added to my post above...we do think differently too Smile

Esteemed Contributor

I don't do "whimsical" at all - I wonder if there's something wrong with me?{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I did do all the appropriate stuff around the holidays when my son was little, and loved every minute of it. And decorated his bedroom the same way. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} But I don't have grandkids, unfortunately, so the whimsy went by the wayside a long time ago. The only thing might be snowmen at Christmas - I'm a snow lover and we seldom get it here, so I do enjoy having a few of those...and I can leave them out for the winter if they're not too Christmasy...I do have a wooden snowman figure with a "Let It Snow" sign on him that I have out next to my porch at Christmas and a few weeks after.

Honored Contributor

We do whimsy for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.