Honored Contributor

Has your home decor preferences changed drastically overtime?

It seems to me that in generations past, women held on to their home decor and furniture for much longer than many do today. We are a heavily consumer based society, and seem to feel the need to keep on buying, and home decor isn't excluded from this.

How is it with you and your home decor? Do you just add to what you have overtime, or make a real overhaul every so often? Have you changed your style drastically overtime, like from primitive country to modern, or something similar? Do you like to furnish your home with things handed down or from the past whether from your own family or acquire things second hand and decorate with a style from a certain period in history (recent or long ago)? Are you one to be on the cutting edge and have the newest and most modern? Do you just get tired of things, or never tire of what you have?

Please share.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has your home decor preferences changed drastically overtime?

A little of all that you mentioned I say yes to except 'modern'. I decorate with the theme of country/log cabin.

Every year it is different on how much new decor I will buy...it all depends on finances, what I see and how much I like from year to year. Some decor I have used for 20+ years...others just for one season and gave to the Goodwill the next year. Some are sentimental, and others I just love so much I keep them out all the time. Sometimes I rotate what I put out from year to year...lets say I used 'whatever' in 2012 during the Fall and I might not use it again til 2016. If I still see myself using it, I will keep it. Some vignettes I put together are enjoyed so much, I will do the exact same thing the following year, or add new pieces.

As for furniture, we hardly have bought anything new! Our solid oak bedroom set is the one from my apt I bought back in 1986! The only thing in there that has changed is the mattress...LOL

The spare bedroom has 8 pieces of furniture...a folding table I got at ace hardware on clearance 8 yrs ago, a desk DH had before we got married for his desktop pute and the rest are 6' bookcases filled with all our books. We consider it our library room. The bookcases were all under $50 each.

Our livingroom has a black leather couch I bought back in 1986 for my apt...still going strong and could probably go for another 30 yrs. Then there is a fold out futon we use when family stays...cost us under $150 back in 2000. when we got married. There are end tables and a coffee table which also came from my apt I bought back in 1986 still going strong. There is a curio cabinet DH bought for me when I started to collect Fenton glassware back in 2004...2 small bookcases I got at yard sales for $5 each, DH's grandparents fold-down gametable/sideboard he inherited last year, a corner cabinet (I got mainly to hold our Bose) I got about January at Overstock dot com for about $60. The last piece is our pride and joy...and a new 'custom made' entertainment center/curio cabinet which houses our 52" tv and the balance of our Fenton glassware...LOVE! That was made in December of 2012 and delivered in January 2013. It was worth every penny of nearly $5,000!!!

The 3 piece wall unit that came from my apt only had housing for the old dinosaur tv's, so we had to upgrade when the TV we had (my 25" from the early 90's) conked out. I really loved that wall unit too, but at least now someone else is enjoying it. We had the Salvation Army pick it up Smile

Our kitchen, furniture-wise only has room for a 4 chair dinette set...which I also bought back in 1986 for my apt! The table is still going strong, but we finally had to replace the chairs. DH found a set of solid wood ones that match great at Overstock dot com for less than $50 each. There is also a pantry cabinet I bought for $29.99 in the late 80's for my apt...still perfect for all our canned goods and cereals! I'll just add one thing...although it's not furniture, even the microwave I bought for my apt...yes, again in 1986, it is still in great shape and no problems yet! *knocks on my wooden head* {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

I have a tendency to use my furniture for years as we buy good quality and I love what I have. I change out accessories for different seasons and every once in a while I will get rid of something and totally change up the look.

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Kitlynn said:

I have a tendency to use my furniture for years as we buy good quality and I love what I have. I change out accessories for different seasons and every once in a while I will get rid of something and totally change up the look.

Same here

Super Contributor

I buy good and use our furniture for years. Current bedroom about 23 yrs, spare room is our original when married 46 yrs ago. Did buy a new headboard (wanted king). Change mattresses when needed. We also change couch and chairs when needed. End tables are about 30+ yrs. We live in a 19 yr old loghome. We started with country, and have evolved to add a little cottage touch and have put away some of the cows, Amish stuff, however still have an Amish bench. Also have a stained glass lamp. We also did our loft with a John Wayne and Indian flare. I love to decorate and love some change. Christmas, I am thinking of eliminating some of country fabric trees, and older snowmen for some more current decors. Probably will never change our Christmas tree with some homemade ornaments, unless we can't do it. We do now use an artificial large tree, and a Charlie Brown skinny tree. I want to do another family picture grouping with matching frames. It isn't very big, so may do frameless.

Valued Contributor

My traditional taste in furniture and accessories has changed very little over time and although I replaced my living room and dining room furniture when we moved into this house, I kept the traditional look. Was about 15 years ago that I found myself throwing in some country accessories into my kitchen but when we did a remodel 7 years ago those accessories came out and are stored in the basement.

I've change little things to update the living and family rooms, new pillows, lamps, throw rugs, mini blinds to wooden blinds, things like that, but the basic premise of the rooms didn't change...it remains based in traditional furnishings.

Maria

Super Contributor

Interesting question. I had much more modern taste when I was younger, and over the years it's kind of gravitated toward more rustic/traditional/shabby chic....I like what I like. I don't stay with one style per se, but I buy what appeals to me and somehow it all works together. If I buy what I really love, I don't get tired of it. I have found things I bought that were "ok" - not really in love with them but they serve a purpose - I get more tired of those things vs. things I bought just because I loved it.

Honored Contributor

We have a lot of antique furniture that we never change and around that we have I guess cottage style. I do not change things up much. I still have the same oil paintings that we bought when we got married 31 years ago. My coffee table is also from 1983 and end tables are probably 20 years old. When we moved to Fl. 4 years ago we bought new bedroom set and LR set. DR set is 21 years old - it was a 10th anni gift from my parents.

Everyone of our friends who is always redecorating their home to have all the best and newest is now still working well past retirement age and complaining that they have not been 'lucky enough"" to be able to save enough to retire. Luck has nothing to do with it! I crack up when they blame the president because they can't retire instead of themselves and their total lack of restraint.

Honored Contributor

We are not rough on our furniture so things tend to last a long time. Over the years, I've had pieces of antique furniture restored and they are interspersed throughout the house. My only stipulation when it comes to antiques is that they have to have been in our family and not purchased at antique stores.

Respected Contributor

Having bought and sold several houses because DH's career has had us move many times, Some times most of the furniture was sold with the house, so I had to buy mostly new. Right now I have a winter home and a summer home, and everything from both coordinates so If I ever scale down to one house, it will all work together (: My furniture is mostly like new because I buy good quality also and take good care of it.