Honored Contributor

Honest discussion about VPH quality.

I have been buying/receiving as gifts VPH items for probably 15 years now. I have seen a gradual decline in quality (and style) overall in the products offered by Valerie.

First off, I don't intend to bash Valerie, Q, hosts or the products here, but am sad that some of the products Valerie is bringing are not up to par. I have many that I just love, even several that are newer. I just noticed that some aren't anywhere worth them time or money spent on them.

Mercury glass. I'm new to it. Most I have received has been just OK. It seems like the mercury effect isn't as thick/deep/rich looking as it should be. I can see through it too easily, like the coloring was skimpily applied. I have noticed this on pumpkins, candle holders and lamps. The latest Christmas trees, on the other hand, go above and beyond, though, and are of excellent quality. Also, I assumed if I purchased a particular color of MG from Valerie's line, all items in the same color would match. Not so. If I'm buying say, gold MG from her line, I want it all to match so I can group it together, and the colors vary. A lot. Also, much of the MG line I have received is crooked or misshaped.

Wreaths (not the live ones) are not full and substantial like the older ones. Sometimes, even the ones she has worked with on set aren't very good looking. Wish they'd just increase the price, and offer a fuller, better quality wreath. Many of the tie ons look poor quality as well. I have seen some online that look fuller and cost much more, in her line, but wish they'd present them on air.

Battery life of many products not good. Again, charge a little more, and get a better quality electronics inside.

Styles. I want any vendor to offer lots of selection in styles, but for the most part, I feel Valerie had abandoned that high end classic style she was famous for, and moved to things that are more trendy. I purchased the carolers as a gift, and while the style is exactly what I used to expect in her line, the quality was substandard, lots of marks, scrapes, and loose threads, poor gluing etc. I'm sure they follow decor trends, and bring what they think will sell, but that classic style that Valerie was famous for never goes out of style.

I guess that Q is trying to keep a price point that will sell, and in doing so, isn't concerned enough about the quality of the items, and has chosen trendy decor over classic designs. I would hope that they learn something from the recent Lisa Robertson Christmas decor show, and that an elegant more high end look does indeed have a place on Q, and will sell well.

Has anyone else noticed particularly the decline in quality of VPH products? What ones have you purchased and would warn us to avoid, and which ones are real winners?

For me winners are the ottomans, this year's small mercury glass trees (so wonderful), the old fashioned glittered pieces of the last couple of years, one was a Santa and deer, a set of three children themed pieces, (one with a tree, one with kids in sled and one with kids building snowman) were so exceptionally wonderful. And the new acrylic finials are just to die for.

Honored Contributor

Re: Honest discussion about VPH quality.

I don't buy a lot of decor stuff but last year I bought 2 of her JOY nativity sets - one for me and one as a gift. They were both excellent quality and a unique design.

I think her mercury glass is designed to allow the light to show through.

Esteemed Contributor

I just wish she'd bring back real candles as not everyone wants the fake one. She used to sell candle gardens with 5 candles at staggered heights the fragrance was amazing and long lasting.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

If you notice it, then it's true. You don't need others to validate your opinion.

Honored Contributor

I think you are spot on. When things are good, they are really good and same goes the other way. Last year I ordered 3 sets of the mercury glass pillars at different times. I kept hoping for a good set, but all had some kind of defect and went back. I also ordered the 2 mercury glass birds, that were defective and went back.

I have the mercury glass three tiered cake plates that are perfect. I didn't order anything in the last show, but that was because I couldn't decide and everything sold out. I buy with the expectation that there may be a chance it goes back.

Valued Contributor

I too, think they want to hit a price point. I have so many of her items really don't need much. I probably buy 25% of what I used to. I'm kind of tired of the mercury glass. Seems like they are beating it to death.

Esteemed Contributor

Several of the latest LR items along with some VPH items come from the same wholesaler. If interested, you can search regency international and view a Christmas 2014 catalog to see for yourself. I enjoy looking through their catalogs.

My point is that it seems much of what they ALL sell is from the same supplier(s) and I don't think the quality necessarily differs. They just choose items with specific "looks" for their decorating shows. Perhaps they should look to different suppliers since the quality is so inconsistent.

I still wonder about the details of why Linda Dano stopped her Home line. I know quality was part of the problem. Perhaps it had to do with meeting that certain price point mentioned by others, and the quality just wasn't there for the items she wished to offer, so it didn't work out.

Honored Contributor

I have been shopping the Q/VPH for 10 yrs. There always seemed to be what I would consider a few duds/poor quality items each year that you just hoped you got a 'good' one.

I don't blame VPH for the percentage of poor quality items. I blame the Q for not getting a better handle on the QC by which the "Q" stands for. There are times I believe there isn't even a QC check...or maybe they check 1 out of 1,000. Many times they should check 1/20, 1/50, 1/100 to catch the items that will have a high percentage of poor quality items.

VPH chooses many lovely things, however, sometimes I am surprised how a product is not thought through more before bringing them for the customers.

Examples...

For those who have shopped the Q/VPH for 10+ yrs...remember the set of glass pumpkins she had as a TSV? I'm guessing about 8 yrs ago. About a month or two after that, there was a big issue about making sure the word got out about the pumpkins exploding. A customer had put real candles inside one of their pumpkins and it exploded!

I have had many of VPH products that have had battery box issues...either the length of time a product will be lit from the batteries is so low it's just crazy, the batteries won't fit into the box, or the cover won't fit back on when the batteries are in the box...UGH! Here are two great examples...

Last year I got her acrylic spun tree set (H201244). They are fabulous to look at and add in vignettes, but the battery life in them was a few short hours! They drained our batteries so bad they had to be thrown out. I couldn't even recharge them!

I almost bought the Remote Control Aqua Lights w/ 11" Mosaic Hurricane (H202088). I remember ordering and then canceled right away after I read the short battery life of 2 hours per usage!!!

It boggles the mind how that item was a hot pick this past Spring, that not one person at the Q...Valerie, her team, the Q, anyone, didn't find that a 2 hour battery life is a bit crazy?

And with those acrylic trees...with so many reviews saying HOW much they were a 'battery hog',..that NOBODY tried them out 1st to see how long the batteries would last in them? Did they just put them in and say 'wow, beautiful' and didn't follow through with seeing how long they would stay lit? Did they get the perfect set of acrylic spun trees lasting for at least 20+ hours before dying? And then, only trying one set of trees????

I'm not trying to be mean or put anyone down. To me, this is just good ole' common sense.

Anyway, for the most part, I have gotten many things of VPH that are wonderful quality pieces I am grateful she brought them to the Q. I have used them for years and I'm still using. Truth be told, there are also cheap junk products too. If only those were weeded out better and the QC would ramp up, this issue wouldn't have become such a problem.

Super Contributor

I agree about the decline in quality and overall I do think it's hit-and-miss, depending on what you order.

As for the mercury glass, yes I do think it's thin on purpose since most of it is lighted and if it were thicker the lights would not be as bright on the lighted items as someone else pointed out.

I do like a lot of Valerie's things, but I think she could bring in more variety. I am a little tired of everything being flameless, and I also really miss her "real" candles! She used to have TSV candle sets that were really nice. And as gardens pointed out the candle gardens had amazing scent/throw and you could smell them all through the house. It is hard to find highly scented candles now. The closest I can come to the candles that she sold are at Pier One.

I think she could bring in a lot more home décor that is NOT seasonal, it seems that most of what she brings now is very seasonally oriented. Sometimes I'd just like to see some pretty things for the home that isn't tailored to a season or holiday. I wish she'd bring more cute lamps, hurricanes and real candles, and things like that.

I still have a wall clock from her that is a handpainted magnolia repurposed roofing tile clock, it is beautiful. I look at that clock sometimes and wonder why she can't bring things like that in anymore. I think I bought that clock the first year or two that she was on air.

I would also love to see her do more furniture pieces, like side tables, etc. She sold a mahogany colored round side table once and it sold out so fast I didn't get to order it. I would love to see those things back, as well as cabinets, decorative trunks, lingerie chests, etc.

Super Contributor

Susan Louise, I agree with what you're saying about the battery life on many of her products and that keeps me from ordering sometimes. The buyers really need to look at that. I think that is short-sighted as well.