Honored Contributor

Like most modern campers the bed in our unit is in the slide so there is about 2" of clearance on each side between the wall and the mattress. Presently, to make the bed i pull the mattress off the bottom of the bed and start the fitted sheet at the top then slide the mattress back onto the platform and gently pull the sheet down to the bottom. Then I have to crawl up on the bed to the top because the king sheets are slightly too large so they have to be tucked in all the way around.After all this effort to put clean sheets on the bed it will not last even one night without coming all untucked and bunched up, so every morning I go through this whole ordeal. I am so weary of doing this - it is exhausting pulling the king size mattress down off the bottom of the bed every day to restart the sheets again. So does anyone have any tips for me about making their camper beds? My DH said it was ok with him to have only a bottom sheet and just the quilt on the top but that would not solve the problem, as the issue is with the bottom sheet. I even tried using a flat instead of a fitted sheet but that was even worse. By morning the entire sheet was all in a bunch and we were sleeping on the mattress cover. Also, there are shelves on each side as there are no nightstands so they come out of the wall over the mattress which adds a lot to the difficulty of this situation.

As for the top sheet and quilt I just tuck them in at the bottom and bring them up to where the slide starts and fold therm back so they are no problem .

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ladies who own a camper...

We use the fully elasticized, meaning 100% of the way around the perimeter, fitted sheets. It sometimes takes both of us to change the bedding, because of the way the built in closets come right up to the sides of the mattress. Once the fully elasticized fitted sheet is on, it stays on. Ours is a full mattress (not original to camper) with an added 1" topper and mattress pad.

Super Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We don't use sheets. We just use sleeping bags. Put on the bottom and one of top.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

I'm glad you brought this up...DH and. I are RV shopping, and I never would have thought about the bed making issue. I also made a mental note when you mentioned regretting not getting the washer and dryer combo.When the RV sales people say you can only wash one or two items at a time because it's so small, I say I don't care, it's still better than having to go to the laundry mat.
Honored Contributor

How about using a quilted, zippered mattress cover that totally envelops the entire mattress, as your bottom sheet? It wouldn't slide off or come untucked, and would be provide a comfortable barrier.

Honored Contributor

On 7/25/2014 SHOPR said:

We use the fully elasticized, meaning 100% of the way around the perimeter, fitted sheets. It sometimes takes both of us to change the bedding, because of the way the built in closets come right up to the sides of the mattress. Once the fully elasticized fitted sheet is on, it stays on. Ours is a full mattress (not original to camper) with an added 1" topper and mattress pad.

In our fifth wheel I would open the closet and then I had room on that side for my bum when I bent over the bed to put the sheets on. It was much better than this situation. I tried to use a queen - hoping it would stretch tight across the mattress but it was just too small. I went to Walmart and bought very inexpensive sheets thinking they would shrink and fit better than the nicer ones but they didn't. I am considering remeasuring the mattress and taking them to a seamstress (since I don't have a sewing machine here) to get them custom made. I will look for suspenders at walmart but that will require DH to help me put them on so I don't know how that will fly.Sometimes he is very helpful and sometimes he's just cranky so that could be an issue.

Honored Contributor

I am a professional bed maker - a nurse - and this is harder than making occupied beds at work. Actually I use a technique I learned as a nurse for making an occupied bed from top to bottom . I am bound and determined to beat this issue! My DH is on a forum for people who own the brand of fifth wheel we used to own and this is a frequent topic of conversation there.

Honored Contributor

On 7/25/2014 Azcowgirl said: I'm glad you brought this up...DH and. I are RV shopping, and I never would have thought about the bed making issue. I also made a mental note when you mentioned regretting not getting the washer and dryer combo.When the RV sales people say you can only wash one or two items at a time because it's so small, I say I don't care, it's still better than having to go to the laundry mat.

Getting a washer and dryer really takes up a ton of storage space - however, the element of people we have run into at the laundry in town makes me really wish I had gotten them. Lately, it has been so bad that now my DH stays there with me. Our campground has a laundry but the pipeline workers use it and they leave everything covered in mud all the time and they break the machines because of the extreme dirty clothing - all caked in mud- that they put in the washers.I took a throw rug down there this week and not one washer was working but the big triple loader - and I'm not paying $6 to wash one throw rug.

My DH asked the campground owner if we could put a washer in the shed and pay her monthly for water use - we pay for our electric already - but she said no. He had already figured out how he would engineer it to have water from our outside shower line and hook up a Y connection into the sewer drain, but the owner would not even hear about it from him.

Honored Contributor

I got some straps from QVC that have helped me. They're adjustable for different bed sizes. They're elastic and have a clip on the ends. You put two on the bed criss-crossed and clip to the sheets at the corners under the mattress. Once you've got them on, bed making is easy.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment