Honored Contributor

Screen Mend Screen Repair Patch Kit

I have a couple of holes in my screens that I need to repair. QVC is out of this, but I could buy it elsewhere. The six reviews on QVC are not good, but they are good on Amazon. Has anyone used this? What do you think? If you don't recommend this, what do you recommend?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Screen Mend Screen Repair Patch Kit

It kind of depends on the screening you're repairing. If the screening is the old metal screening the easiest repair is to cut a patch two to three times the size of the hole/tear, peel off the woven wires until you get a patch just slightly larger than the hole with the bare wires sticking straight out. (Kind of like a squashed multi-legged bug.) Then fold those bare wires forward ninety degrees and slide them through the screening around the hole/tear. Depending on your patience level you can then intricately wrap/weave each and every one of those bare wires into and out of holes, or just flatten them out against the screen.

For fiberglass screening you once again need a patch then you need a way to secure the patch in place. There are two real options. The first is adhesives of whatever sort you prefer and the second option is thread or thin monofilament line woven through the holes to knit the two screen sections together.

Replacing screening is also pretty cheap and easy on smaller windows. Pretty much every Walmart and hardware store has screening replacement tools and supplies. If the tears/holes are on something big like a pool enclosure or large expanse of porch, then patching may be your best option.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

My DH bought a clear tape at Camping world that is designed to repair RV awnings and he uses it to fix holes the birds peck in the lanai screening. They see bugs or lizards on the screen and they poke a hole in the screen getting them.So DH repairs with the tape. The screen is nylon and the tape stays put in all weather.

Valued Contributor

If I had taken the time to write a review, it would have been one star (since they don't allow zero). This product has potential but is not good as it is. It is basically 6 separate pieces of screening with paraffin or some type of gluey stuff on them. They come in 3 sleeves with 2 in each sleeve. So far, so good. The ones I received had very little of the glue on them, if you held them up to the light the patches were mostly huge places where it was just screening, no glue. What is the point if there is no glue? I would just be doing what gardenman suggested could be done (and I have done) at a much cheaper price point. I am not sure if it was the 100 degree weather and the package in my mail box in the sun all afternoon, or the 2 pieces of screening sticking together in their sleeve, or just no glue to start with. I might have gotten one or two small patches out of them. Instead I sent them back as defective for a full refund. So, thumbs down recommendation from me.

Honored Contributor

Most hardware stores repair window screens for a very reasonable price. I've tried the self-repair kits and, in my opinion, they're not worth it and not a long-term solution.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone. After reading these posts I am no longer tempted to buy it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I've re-screened many screens including patio doors. With the fiberglass material it's very easy. I bet you could find a You Tube video to demonstrate, then all you need are materials and a roller tool.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

What a timely subject! I just rescreened four large panels on my screened in patio. The ones I took off were nasty and weathered and had various small holes or tears in them. I have used those patches and they are worthless. I bought the screen and spline and replaced them all. Looks great and no more holes.

There is a learning curve. The first one took the longest and the last one I did the fastest.

Honored Contributor

On 7/22/2014 kachina624 said: I've re-screened many screens including patio doors. With the fiberglass material it's very easy. I bet you could find a You Tube video to demonstrate, then all you need are materials and a roller tool.

ITA. That's what I would do. When we replaced all of ours before we replaced all the windows we replaced all the screens with shade screen.

Smile