Regular Contributor

Where Do You Keep All Your Decor? Like Valeri's

I love her home decor and have quite a bit. I love watching Valerie and used to buy her items here and there. I also love to shop Home Goods and on line. I get catalogs with home items in them and have to hold back. I just don't have room for all the things I have an interest in.

I'm someone who has many interests and have a ton of Jim Shore items. I have some Hummels, Fenton Art glass pieces, Byers Carolers, Lenox items, A beautiful collection of Royal Doulton people and animal figurines, Angels and more. I see things I like all the time. But I am not going to be able to keep these things or display them because there isn't the room. I love bed linens. How do you store all of your items that are in daily use not to mention Christmas and Halloween and more? I have fun finding things I think are nice, but once you have a lot, you can't get anything more I guess.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Super Contributor

Re: Where Do You Keep All Your Decor? Like Valeri's

Well , first I keep everything in their original boxes , which I label with permanent marker . I store breakable items like Fenton pieces , in the dining room buffet ...it's quite large & has lots of storage space . Items that are plastic or resin and won't get moldy , I'll store in the basement on shelves . A few things like Byers dolls , are stored in a couple of closets on the first floor . I label all boxes and also write if an item is a collectible . My family wouldn't know that , if I didn't write it on the box . .........also store breakable items in their original styrofoam molds in the boxes ; that helps prevent breakage .
Super Contributor

OP , i forgot that You asked about linens & I collect quilts . I use a second floor closet as a linen closet . We built shelves inside . I measured the lengths., widths & heights of all the shelves , and then bought sturdy plastic storage drawers for the shelves . Each drawer holds several sheet sets . I decided to store sheets by either flat , fitted , pillowcases & labeled the drawers that way on the front . I kept one drawer for flannel sheet sets , since there aren't many . .......some people store sheets in containers based on the mattress size ......they'll have a drawer labeled " full " or " twin " , etc. ........I guess it's whatever method works best for each home . Regarding quilts , I keep the original zippered clear plastic case they arrive in , along with the cardboard photo & size info , that the manufacturer includes in the package . I keep them stored in their original zippered plastic sleeves & store them on the linen closet shelves . I keep a few of my VPH seasonal lamps in that closet too ....in their original boxes & labeled with permanent marker . I dislike opening lots of boxes to look for one item , so labeling the box in black marker saves me lots of time . ......good luck choosing a storage method that works for you . Btw , Martha Stewart has lots of storage ideas on Facebook & her web site I'm sure . Country Living magazine is helpful too .
Honored Contributor

I don't have much decor other than Christmas so I keep Christmas in the attic but everything else is in a sealed plastic bin on a shelf in DH's closet.

Honored Contributor

Christmas is stored in bins in the basement and the garage. Other decorative items are on shelves in the basement.

I don't have an over-abundance of decorative items. I absolutely detest little knick-knacks (dust collectors).

Super Contributor

Hi Moon! I have a lot of mini lights on reels and found a tall round collapsible storage container (meant to store gift wrap) that is perfect- stands upright and so saves floor space. I have several reels in it now and there is lots of room for more. The container came with an extra zip container for bows that I use for shorter light strings.

One large Rubbermaid container has tree ornaments, another has décor for mantels and tables and another for outdoor. I'm like brii, I don't like or have a lot of knick knacks, but what we do have were gifts or heirlooms from relatives that passed on and we want to keep.

We used to have a container here, another there, tree somewhere else in the house! While redoing the basement and purging junk over the winter I kept enough room down there to put all the Christmas items in one area. All floral and wreaths are kept in my art room closet, tho'. A rather large quilted tree skirt is kept in a plastic zip bag that a bed cover originally came in.

Good thing I don't have money to burn, 'cause it would go towards more Christmas stuff and we're trying to stay clutter free as much as possible!

Respected Contributor

Seasonal decor is stored in large totes under the house. I have a large closet under the stairs for linens.

Honored Contributor

I have tried to be like blueskies and store things in their original packaging, but it takes up way too much room for me. I only store the most breakable things that way, and only if they came with really good packaging.

I tend to want things out so I can see them or I forget I have them, (not talking about holiday decor tho, that is boxed and in a closet) so I got several sets of heavy duty shelving in the basement, and I set things I'm not using at the time on those shelves in some sort of order that makes sense, like all candles together, or all flameless candles in one area. All unused lamps in one section, etc. Then when I want to change a vignette or display, I can see exactly what I have, and I don't forget I have things that I love.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to decorate like it was my job so I have TONS. I am very organized (think Candy Spelling OCD). I have plastic storage containers labeled and cataloged neatly stacked in my garage. I have actually four themes that I rotate. As I get older I just don't bring it out if I am not hosting anything. When I host that year I go full steam ahead. I also save it in hopes my kids might want it.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

I have different color bins for all my decorations.

Green and red for Christmas.

Blue for Easter.

Brown and Orange for Fall/Halloween

Clear for patriotic