Super Contributor

Decorating a two tiered coffee table

I have a rather large rectangle coffee table in our living room. While I am quite happy with the top of it, I have no idea what to do with that next layer. There are drawers under that layer, if that makes any difference. We have magazines in a different location, so I really do not want to just put some of those there. Any ideas or sites to visit? Thank you!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Decorating a two tiered coffee table

What kind of decor do you like?

Honored Contributor

Does it look something like this?

Super Contributor

It does look rather like the one pictured....only a solid top and the feet are closer to the ground.

My taste is about as traditional as it gets.

Valued Contributor

Would baskets work? They come in different shapes and styles and would hold anything like remotes, etc, that need a "home" without cluttering up the top of your table. HTH

Super Contributor

I have baskets for our family room coffee table, so maybe a different look for this room. Appreciate the help a lot, though!!!!

Frequent Contributor

I have a similar coffee table and have put various things on the bottom shelf....large coffee table books, family photo albums, and recently I stashed some extra decorative pillows under there, which kind of softens the look.

Respected Contributor

It's probably not the answer you want, but how about leaving it clear so the items on the top can shine?

Super Contributor

I know empty might look nice, but for some reason, it looks like a forgotten space to me then. Now the pillows stashed there.....interesting idea for sure! I do have some extra that I might just need to play with.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe a throw, folded. A treasured book or two? A pretty bowl or tray. I have even used tea light candles in a place like that.

Cogito ergo sum