Regular Contributor

For all my pet friends who have always been there

Most of you know that I just adore pugs and that Baby has been my constant companion for 11 years now. She has not been feeling well, so off to the VET we went. There was nothing seriously wrong with her, just old age, so the Vet modified her diet and added extra vitamins. But, they did confirmed that Baby is deaf. I have suspected that for several months now because I would call to her and even though she could see me there was no response. This makes me so sad (and only my pet friends can understand this) for she will no longer hear me sing to her, just a dumb song that I made up when she was a baby and I sang to her at bedtime and whenever she sat next to me and put her paw on my chest (that was my cue to sing that song to her). She will never hear me tell her how much I love her. I have to go up to her and touch her for her to know that I'm looking for her. When she cannot find me she goes to all the usual places I am; the bathroom door; the bedroom; my desk; my favorite chair; the back kitchen door/screen and/or the front door screen to look and wait for me. For as she has been my constant/shadow companion, I guess I have been hers. Thankfully our yard is totally fenced in, very secure fence, and she is safe from wildlife (I live in the country). So, I sit outside with her in the shade and motion to her when I am ready to go inside.

I love all my fur babies and we have all been through a lot. I'm just feeling sad tonight. Thank you all for letting me share this and to know that you all understand.

I was there for the Tuesday nite prayers for our fur babies. A prayer for my Baby is appreciated.

Super Contributor

Re: For all my pet friends who have always been there

Your post is lovely.

Honored Contributor

It's very sad to see creatures about whom you care grow old. Treasure the time you have with your baby. If it cheers you up any, when I sing, my dog, a collie, heads right out the dog door to the back yard.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Don't be sad - Baby isn't. She can feel your love every time you touch her. And even when you're not close to her, she still knows how much you love her. That will never change. And please don't ever stop singing to her. She may not hear the words now, but she knows what you are singing anyway.
Esteemed Contributor

They are members of the family. Both of my hound dogs are 11 years old (brother and sister) and I am so grateful for every day with them. I, too, make up silly things to say and sing to them, and have goofy nicknames for them. Poor Baby, having to adjust to losing a sense. I'm sure your compassion and comfort will see her through. She is lucky to have a mom she can trust. Life comes down to routines and now yours and hers have changed. I am crying and praying. She knows you love her.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

I will say a prayer for your Baby. It's so so sad when they grow old. No matter how long they live, it's never long enough. Don't stop singing to her, she can sense you are singing to her. You sound like a wonderful pet mom. She's so lucky to have you. As long as she has you nearby like you always are, she'll feel safe and happy. The purest love in the world walks on four paws.

Respected Contributor

It's hard to see our babies get old, but you got mostly all good news. I've had many of my old dogs lose their hearing. Try clapping! Start with her close to you and if she responds, reward her. Apparently the clapping causes a vibration they can sense. If she responds to the clapping, you can teach her that is your signal for her to come to you.

Respected Contributor

On 7/15/2014 Alsee said: Don't be sad - Baby isn't. She can feel your love every time you touch her. And even when you're not close to her, she still knows how much you love her. That will never change. And please don't ever stop singing to her. She may not hear the words now, but she knows what you are singing anyway.

Let her lie on your chest or put her paws there when you sing, so she can feel the vibrations! It's so true that we really love our pets!!! I think they know it!! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Frequent Contributor

One of my dogs is blind...it came on so quickly and I was devastated. It still makes me sad, but you know what? Felix doesn't seem sad one bit. He has adjusted so very well. I'm sorry that your baby can't hear you anymore, but she surely feels your love. She will adjust and so will you...it's obvious from your story you both love each other Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

What a beautiful post - you and Baby are lucky to have each other. I hope you do continue to sing to her, especially when you are holding her or she is in your lap. She may be able to sense it and maybe you put out a different energy that she can feel when you sing that song. Continued good health and best wishes to you and Baby!