Super Contributor

I am going into a new apartment that has all wooden floors. Are Swifter mops the best way to clean these? I have always had carpeting in my homes. Are Swifter mops the economical way to go?

Valued Contributor

I tried the swifter mop once and couldn't stand the chemical smell and stickiness it left behind. I have a Libman mop that I use that is lightly damp. I use that brand on all my floors.

Respected Contributor

I have several of the Don Aslett Mops sold here V31632 is the item number.

I prefer them to Swiffer because I can wash the pads in the washing machine, they are "green" because I'm not throwing away a chemical-laden sheet, and I can use any cleaning solution I want. I have allergies, so I don't like using strong-smelling cleaners.

The pad sticks onto the mop like velcro and you just rip it off and send it to the washing machine. You can buy extra pads.

Honored Contributor

Are you talking wet or dry?

I have hard wood floors on 2 floors on my townhouse and I use the Swiffer dry cloths to dust them weekly. Hard wood floors are just magnets and vacuuming is good for the big stuff, but the dust really needs a Swiffer.

And I have tried the Kirkland version and while cheaper, they don't pick up all the dust that the Swiffer brand version picks up.

I'm a big fan of the Swiffer 360 dusters as well, great for ceiling fans.

I use the Swiffer wet cloths on my hard wood floors for "in between" quick freshening up. I use a regular mop and a cap full of Murphy's Oil Soap to wash my floors regularly.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

For anything wet on hard wood floors you need to make sure your floors are sealed. You can easily ruin your floor putting a lot of water down.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

owls seems to like them

LOL

Super Contributor

I have 60 yr old hardwood floors. I use only microfiber pads on my floors. I use the older version of V31632. I wet the pads and wring them almost dry for "dry" dusting. For mopping, I make a sink of water with Murphy's Oil Soap wet the pads with that, still wring dry and wet mop with that. I throw the pads in the washer & dryer. Have used the same pads for at least 2 years.

Swiffer is expensive because you are having to keep buying new cloths. They aren't the best for your floors because if there's grit or sand on your floor they will just push it around and scratch your floors. A barely damp microfiber pad will pick it up.

If you already have a Swiffer pole, you can use microfiber cloths - just wet them, wrap them around the pad of the Swiffer pole and tuck the edges into the rubber spots where you tuck the throw-away cloths.

Honored Contributor

Not on wood floors. The package says, I believe just tile or vinal floors. Not even for basement floors I think. Check on the package to be sure. Bet if you look on line on their site it will tell you what you can use them on. I could be wrong, but it seems that's what I read.

Esteemed Contributor
On 6/25/2014 VaBelle35 said:

For anything wet on hard wood floors you need to make sure your floors are sealed. You can easily ruin your floor putting a lot of water down.

I use the Swifter mop with the supermarket wet pads on my wood floors. I clean the floor with a dry pad, before using the damp pad. I use a gentle touch mopping.

Valued Contributor

I have the Don Azlett microfiber mop. I did purchase a Swifter hardwood cleaner that I put in a spray bottle and spray my microfiber mop with. The pads just go in the laundry. I do not like the Swifter system at all. If I replace what I have, I would look at the Bona system, as my SIL has this and swears by it.