Honored Contributor

You know what gets me about HGTV Property Brothers?

Where are these houses, Vancouver? It seems the buyers and the viewers are brainwashed into accepting sub-standard houses at astronomical prices. These sellers still get $600,000 to a million for houses that need plumbing, wiring, and structural fixes, as well as cosmetic. I obviously am living in the wrong part of the country, housing is still slow around here, meaning reasonably priced. How do these young couples afford these places?

Honored Contributor

Re: You know what gets me about HGTV Property Brothers?

I'm shocked at Canadian home prices too.

Super Contributor

Every time I watch one of these programs based in Canada (which is most of them these days), I say "I sure am glad I don't live there...I would never own a home." By the way HGTV used to be produced right up the road from me in Knoxville, TN....why do we have all these Canadian shows?

Honored Contributor

Same thing with Love It or List It in Toronto. $800-$900K for a semi attached house with nothing special going for it. It is amazing what houses there cost and I'm from NYC where real estate is certainly not cheap.

Esteemed Contributor

What gets me is the House Hunters. Very young couples with a million dollar budget. Always wonder where they get that much money at such a young age. Oh well, none of my business. Guess I kind of wish I had that much too!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Puppy Lips said:

What gets me is the House Hunters. Very young couples with a million dollar budget. Always wonder where they get that much money at such a young age. Oh well, none of my business. Guess I kind of wish I had that much too!

I feel the exact opposite. My DH and I watch House Hunters and are amazed at what you can get for your money in other parts of the country ("we need to move to the South!"). One thing they never bring up is real estate taxes. I wonder if the Canadian house prices are in Canadian dollars??
Honored Contributor

I just checked ebay.ca and the exchange rate seems about 5% different if my math is right. Edit: its more like 10%, but even if those are Canadian dollars, the result is pretty close.

Trusted Contributor

It's always interesting (and a bit unnerving) to recognize the huge difference in housing prices in different cities and parts of the country. Buying a home in New York City or San Francisco is SO much more expensive than buying in Atlanta or Nashville. The whole cost of living is different......and I'm imagining that salaries must reflect some of that difference as well. We've known people who have sold homes in California and moved to Atlanta and found that they could afford a mansion here with the proceeds from the sale of their previous very ordinary homes.

Super Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Puppy Lips said:

Many young educated Professionals make 6 figure salaries...
The key to that is that they get into TOP Universities. NOT 2 & 3
and 4 tiered schools... They will NOT get good jobs going to such
schools...
Here is an example... When our last daughter was 24 years old she
got an offer from a Law Firm with $160,000.00 When they learnt that
she got an offer from another Law Firm they raised her pay to $175 K.
with every benefit you could think of...
She worked for them for a year then returned home & took the $145K
job... So that she could be nearer to us & her fiance.. Who makes twice the amount she makes...
Her old job told her that she can return at any time and they send her
invitations to most of the functions that they are having...
NO! my daughter (Daughters) are not unusual all their friends make
that kind of money...
And NO .. I am NOT boasting...
Esteemed Contributor

I get a kick out of the couples on Love it or List it....

Hillary won't be able to upgrade all the rooms they want done...things they insist they have to have done...due to Hillary having to fix unforeseen problems....

The couple will moan and groan about it...then Love the place and not move...I never understand that...