Honored Contributor

Is homemaking a chore or a love for you?

All of it, the housework, cooking, decorating. Do you love it, look forward to it, or is it just another of life's chores to get through?

I love it. Almost all of it. I like to clean, do laundry, cook, decorate and entertain. I consider myself blessed to have what I do (and it isn't much relative to today's standards) and feel grateful to have the health and the family to do it with/for.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is homemaking a chore or a love for you?

Same here. I love taking care of my home and my gardens.

And, like you, very very grateful for the life I have. Simple as it is. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

No I hate it!! Been in this house for 28 years and it is so out of date and in need of general repair. It has stairs and sits on 2 1/2 acres of wildness. Husband doesn't care. Give me a small, level place with no yard in a warm, sunny place and I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Honored Contributor

I separate housework from decorating. They aren't the same thing. I love decorating my home, I love making it attractive and comfortable. I detest housework. I always have and I always will. Housework is a necessary evil. It must be done. I don't know anyone who really says "yippee!" "I'm gonna vacuum the upstairs carpets today and clean the toilets". I'm sure someone, somewhere feels that way. I don't know her. When I was a sahm and we lived off one income, I did it because it was my job. I did it as quickly and efficiently as possible, so I could get on to the things I wanted to do. My husband and I shared the housework after I went back to work. He's better at it than I am. And now, the kids are off on their own, it's just the two of us. We both work and we make good salaries; so, I have a part time housekeeper and I have a cleaning service come in three times a year. I'm fortunate that I am able to do that. But, honestly. At 54, with a full time job, I'd FIND the money for household help somewhere. We did raise our family in a big 9 room colonial with a lot land and the yard work was my husband's responsibility or we hired someone. We had an upstairs porch and big wrap-around porch on the first floor and I loved decorating that with potted plants and such.

Super Contributor

I hate house work. But I love my home and so I keep it spotless. I have a schedule I adhere to. Today it is dusting and floors. Since I have been up since 3 I am done. Now I am going to work on a wreath. And lunch with my special friend.
Esteemed Contributor

I love decorating but am SOOOOO tired of cleaning, cooking, and laundry!!

Trusted Contributor

Chore! I'd hire help for all household tasks if I could! I like to relax in a beautiful home, not work in one.
Respected Contributor

When I was younger with babies my house was always immaculate. Now I find it a chore, it is clean, but I don't fuss over it as much. I still love to decorate though and have a beautiful back yard. It really only get a thorough cleaning when company is coming. It's a good thing they come once in awhile.

Honored Contributor

Just a chore. Our home is where we can relax and not obsess over extreme cleanliness and fancy decorating. So there's some dust here and there and things aren't immaculately clean. It's also nice that this is no longer something relegated to the females only.

Honored Contributor

Chore. It's just the 2 of us and only 1100 sq. ft., but if I could find reliable help to clean it a couple of times a month, I would do it. I'd just rather be doing other things than cleaning.