Honored Contributor

How to un jam paper shredder overload?

I have my first overload with my Amazon 49.00 shredder. Of course I don't know where the manual is. I tried reverse, no dice. So I unplugged it. But now I'm stuck, literally.

Respected Contributor

Re: How to un jam paper shredder overload?

Is there a model number or something on the machine? Maybe you can find the electronic version of the user manual online. Just be careful, whatever you do! Even when it's unplugged, those blades are a hazard.

Honored Contributor

I got it out. Its Amazon Basics. But I thought I would give it one more college try. I braced the top down between my legs, turned it on to Reverse, and pulled really hard. At this point I was prepared to break the machine, I was so mad at myself for trying to put so much in.

Honored Contributor

If it's the 12 sheet Basics AU1225XB it says this in the owners manual. HTH If you want the owners manual you can go down to product details & download & save to your computer.

How to clear a paper jam in the shredder.

a) Switch the shredder over into Reverse (REV) mode. While in Reverse, the shredder will back up and

loosen the jammed paper. If required, you may need to tug and remove several sheets to effectively

clear the machine. When jammed paper is loosened or removed, switch back to the Auto-On mode

to continue shredding. Repeat steps if needed.

b) With stubborn situations where the reverse function does not help, you may loosen the jammed

paper with shredder oil (cooking oil is acceptable, nothing aerosol). Start by drizzling oil into the

blades where the paper is jammed. Let it soak for about 30 minutes to completely saturate. Return the

shredder back to Auto-On mode. If required, a rigid sheet of cardstock (old greeting card, folded file

folder, or a sheet torn from a cereal box) can be fed into the shredder to help push the jammed paper

through.

Super Contributor

What she said. And, you don't have to mess with that oil if you don't want to. I buy sheets that are oiled from Office Depot and just shred one of those every month or so and that keeps the blades lubricated. You can also use plain old machine oil, which is cheaper than the lubricating oil they sell for shredders. But oiling your shredder is essential to keeping it running well.

And, sometimes when mine gets hot, it will stop working. I just unplug it and let it set for a few hours, plug it back in and try again. At this point if it is not working in reverse, you could try dropping a good amount oil down in the blades, if it still doesn't work after that, maybe it is dead.

Shredders aren't very well made things.....I won't pay over $50 for one because they seem to only last a few years.

Respected Contributor

I've jammed mine and was able to use a knife blade and tweezers to get the jam out. Have used sewing machine oil on it. The shredder oil and sheets is overpriced. I'm not sure what machine oil is, imaclotheshog. Would that be available at Home Depot?

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I just saw that you had tried reversing the paper.
Respected Contributor

You have to use a scissors and start cutting pieces out to thin the stack out, yes it's going to take a lot of time but one page at a time or just pull one page at a time.

It's just not you, we've all done it, in a hurry and think the machine can handle more than it can.

Respected Contributor

I have jammed mine many times. I usually try reverse, then digging out the strips from the rollers. If that doesn't work, let it sit unused for a day to cool down. Mine was working the next day.