Honored Contributor

How much is too much, what is the needed amount....

of linens for your household?

I love good linens, kitchen towels, sheets, blankets, bath, hand, and face towels. I like to keep a good stock of them, have lots of vintage bath and kitchen linens as I like them much better than the new stuff.

My question is, what is your rule or guideline for the amount you keep on hand?

For sheets, each bed in the house needs a minimum of three sets of sheets, one on, one in the wash and one spare. I also keep different sheets for different seasons. I like flannel in the winter, and lighter sheets in the summer. A guest bed (in our house it is twin size) only needs two sets, one summer, one winter.

Bath towels, I am now limiting myself to when the linen closet is full. It isn't a very big closet, and I store some other things in there, like our bath soap, shampoo, extra toothbrushes, toothpaste, and tissues, so I'd say there are maybe 15 odd (no mates to them) nice bath towels, and about 10 complete sets of towels. Each bathroom has little storage, but there are the towels in each that we use, enough to get through the week. I always keep a number of nice sets in the closet for guests only, so we have something really nice if we have company.

Kitchen linens, oh help me. I have them tucked in places that even I forget about. It is quite a weakness for me. I have them in all seasons, but keep just one drawer in the kitchen stocked for use, the others are packed away till the season calls for them, or until I need new ones in the kitchen. I have a huge drawer for vintage ones that I display but don't use. I do use some of the vintage ones I find that are in somewhat worn condition.

Blankets can get out of control for me very easily as well. I have two per bed, with old and worn ones (just a couple) for picnics or use in cars in the winter and such.

I tend to have too many linens because I had noticed in the last several years, that finding really good ones, at any price is getting more and more difficult. Sheets are terrible and small, towels, even though so many are beautiful and big and fluffy, don't dry well, and don't hold up well to extreme use like the ones from the 1970's 80's and 90's did. I tend to want to have more of the older stuff, and less of the new.

How do you deal with linens in your house?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How much is too much, what is the needed amount....

I have to admit that my eye always catches a good price on linens. It seems that there is so much more choice to the quality and style and material of linens now and I do sucker for it a few times a year. I have limited storage space so here is the method to the madness in my house. I use the canvas under the bed storage bags to hold the sheets for all seasons except winter. I store the flannel sheets in the guest room closet. I have at least 3 sets of sheets in two types of fabrics for the three seasons and the same for the flannel.

The towels have to be stored in the bathrooms and the two drawers that I have in buffet for the kitchen. As I buy new I either put the old ones in a donation box for the pet shelter/vet's office or keep a few in the garage/laundry room. The bed linens and bath towels go in the same donation box.

I do have some vintage linens and those I keep in the guest closet.

I have a king and queen bed so the blankets get out of control so easy. I have all of those in the guest closet. The extra comforters, etc are also in there. I have a weakness for bed sets when I find them in my color scheme so I have to remind myself of the storage fact. I like to have different weights for the different seasons. Easy pay always suckers me on that one. The older ones that are still decent go into the cedar closet for when company stays and the other ones go to the donation box.

This is the method that finally works for my storage issues and my budget.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you have plenty of linens. Not sure what a "vintage" kitchen towel is though. But maybe you can answer my question: I like to buy those kitchen towels at Kohl's that are called "Bar Towels". They come in pretty colors like gold, red, olive, blue. They are so soft when I buy them. I believe they are 100% cotton. But after using them for awhile, and numerous wash/dry cycles, they are no longer soft. In fact they are downright scratchy. I use dryer sheets. Is there any way to keep them soft? Does this happen to anyone else's kitchen towels? My bath towels stay soft, so I don't know why these don't.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I do not have an attachment to linens, and don't keep more than a basic supply. Bath towels and hand towels are assigned the same shelf in the linen closet. Washcloths have one drawer in the bathroom vanity. Sheets and pillowcases have two drawers in an antique chest of drawers that also holds tablecloths. Kitchen towels and dishcloths are kept in a wicker basket on a kitchen shelf. I can't stand worn kitchen towels, so they get used as rags for a dirty job, and then get tossed, and replaced. Thru the years my tastes have changed with kitchen towels, and I now prefer a longer cotton towel; either a solid color, or white with a colored stripe, instead of the pretty fruit or floral ones I bought in the past.

Honored Contributor

I have 2 sets of sheets for my bed - I generally take the sheets off , wash them and remake the bed when they are done. As for towels - I have a lot right now due to a sale at Walmart recently when I got some because some of mine are coming close to going to DH's car washing towels. However - generally I have 6 sets of towels - that is what fits on the towel shelf in my closet. I also just bought hand towels - I used to have 3 - right now I have 6, but some of them are also wearing out. I do have a stack of washcloths as I use a fresh one every time I wash my face. All my towels and sheets are white because I prefer to bleach them when I wash them to kill germs.

What I have a ton of for some reason are t towels. I seem to be unable to resist buying them and always think they are too cute. I'm planning to take some to camp this spring to make room in the drawer .

Oddly, my house does not have a linen closet. all I have are 3 shelves in my walk in closet. I never saw a house without a linen closet before this one.

Honored Contributor

Part of my downsizing before we moved to this home was linens. I have two sets of sheets for our bed and one set for the sofa bed. I have one set of good towels for our bath and one for guests. I have a few other towels on hand for emergencies. I do have a lot of colorful dish towels that I use as place mats and a few for the kitchen.
Respected Contributor

Actually, I stop buying when I no longer can shove any more items in my linen closet. lol

Super Contributor

On 4/25/2014 bigsister said:

Actually, I stop buying when I no longer can shove any more items in my linen closet. lol

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I'm the same way! I have a ton of dish towels for the kitchen, I just can't get rid of them.

For the kid's rooms they like what they have and I just have one set per bed. I wash and put them right back on the bed. But for our bed, I have several different coverlets, shams and pillows. I love good linens, it's a weakness for me! Love Yves Delorme and Peacock Alley, they are both great quality, I have to keep them.

Respected Contributor

I have three sets of sheets for our king bed, two sets for the guest bed, one for the sofa bed and replace them only when needed. Several tableclothes that get traded out when washed. (I don't do the seasonal thing anymore.) Towels the same. I'm probably the only person on earth that has empty shelves in my two linen closets! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Now, DON'T ask me about my kitchen stuff! Wink{#emotions_dlg.lol} Come to think of it, some has overflowed into my linen closets...

Denise
Honored Contributor

I have two sets of sheets for each bed (3 beds). I don't know how many towels I have, but the linen closets have several shelves for towels, and they are always full. I have a lot of hand towels and wash cloths. I put a fresh hand towel in each upstairs bathroom every morning. The downstairs guest bath, I use folded paper towels. I think it's more sanitary for guests to use that instead of hand towels.

I have two deep drawers in my kitchen for kitchen towels.

I have a lot of throw blankets to use in the family room. Everybody seems to have a favorite blanket that they like to cuddle under.

I have enough linens, but I don't think I have an exorbitant amount.