Respected Contributor

Finished Spring cleaning...and my down comforter/ blankets!!!

The last element do my Spring cleaning is finished! Machine washed and dried (on ultra care or medium) separately both a king size down comforter and a king down blanket. Had to keep taking out and opening the item every 5 minutes for 25 mins and then hung it over a PVC pipe on the basement and let it finish air drying. They both came out good as new and smelled wonderfully. Emptied the lint trap each time to keep the small feathers under control. Well worth the effort. ( Some places put a lot of blankets in one machine - not something I'd like ).
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: Finished Spring cleaning...and my down comforter/ blankets!!!

Congratulations to you. I will be leaving our home in Florida in 3 weeks to go to Pa and spend the summer living in a camper - I always have to spring clean the camper and fall houseclean here. However, before I leave here I too will be washing blankets and mattress covers and bedspreads. My washer is too small for my king size bed clothes so I will be off to the laundramat.

Esteemed Contributor

Good for you!

Some of are nights are still too cold. I can't wait to wash my down blanket.

Honored Contributor

Our spring cleaning was officially finished when we cleaned the laundry room (our dryer vent really needed it).

Super Contributor

I have to take my down comforters to the laundromat as they're oversized. I take a book and spend the day, ha, ha. Use them all year because my husband likes it cold inside in the summer, have to go outside to warm up. It's nice when they're fresh and clean.
Honored Contributor

Is the reason you took the item out every five minutes to prevent severe wrinkling?

Respected Contributor

Took it out often to reposition the item and let all areas get heat. Sometimes I had to unroll it. No concern at all for wrinkling!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

On 4/25/2014 jlkz said: Took it out often to reposition the item and let all areas get heat. Sometimes I had to unroll it. No concern at all for wrinkling!

Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't wash and dry a very large, heavy comforter in my home washing machine and dryer, as an item this large and heavy really crowds the machine, may not wash or dry well, could cause the dryer to overheat, and the excess weight could damage my machines. I take them to the Laundromat, or my cleaner will launder or dry clean comforters. If you have to keep taking an item out of the washer or dryer, refolding and repositioning it, and stuffing it back in.........the item is TOO BIG for your machine!!

Valued Contributor

WoW! OP, I give you credit!

Just took my comforters to the dry cleaner yesterday. My trunk was full to the brimSmile They charge me approx $20 per comforter. They come out so nice, and they are enclosed in a nice zippered bag (which I use to store for the summer). I put nice light blankets on the beds for the warmer season...which I hope we experience soon{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Memorial Day weekend we do the exterior (windows and power wash).