Super Contributor

Mallemo, I can't find that sphere stand at WM

I asked for it and they didn't think they had it. Then looked for it in the garden department. They had some lovely (and pricey) shepherd hooks with three branches but nothing like the item you got. I just looked at Walmart.com and could not find it there either. They have some lovely plant/gazing ball stands but they cost hundreds of dollars and are from Wayfair.com

Maybe you got the only one in the country!

Valued Contributor

Re: Mallemo, I can't find that sphere stand at WM

Oh I'm sorry you could not find it. They had about 3 of them in that store and we have 3 Walmart stores. I guess they carry different things. It was with all the other plants stands and garden statues. I can give you the tag #. The front of the tag says Metal Gazing Ball Stand and the back says Metal Gazing Ball Stand - M14186, then the bar code and the number under the bar code that shows on my receipt is 087145100673 and it was $12.97. It rang up as "Metal Stand". I could not find it online either.

Valued Contributor

Super Contributor

On 4/22/2014 mallemo said:

I found it! Here you go...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Metal-Gazing-Ball-Stand-Black/22890006

Thanks so much. It's not available on-line but it is available at another WM in my area so I'll go there tomorrow. Thanks again for tracking down the number/web location.

Super Contributor

On 4/22/2014 Nana5 said:

Thanks so much. It's not available on-line but it is available at another WM in my area so I'll go there tomorrow. Thanks again for tracking down the number/web location.

So I trekked to my WM this morning, searched the garden department and found ONE of these stands. I would have gotten two but they had only one. It's sitting in my living room with two spheres in it and it looks lovely. But I need to figure out how to keep it standing and to keep the spheres safe if/when I put it outside. We live in the country and get very strong winds/wind gusts. It will need to be anchored to the ground in some way.

THANKS mallemo for posting the item number. It helped me find it.

Valued Contributor

On 4/22/2014 Nana5 said:

No problem. I hope you find it! Let us know.

Valued Contributor

On 4/23/2014 Nana5 said:
On 4/22/2014 Nana5 said:

So I trekked to my WM this morning, searched the garden department and found ONE of these stands. I would have gotten two but they had only one. It's sitting in my living room with two spheres in it and it looks lovely. But I need to figure out how to keep it standing and to keep the spheres safe if/when I put it outside. We live in the country and get very strong winds/wind gusts. It will need to be anchored to the ground in some way.

Great! I'm so glad you found at least one. I'm sure there must be some way to get it secured to the ground. Do they sell some sort of horseshoe type anchors I wonder?

Super Contributor

On 4/23/2014 mallemo said:
On 4/23/2014 Nana5 said:
On 4/22/2014 Nana5 said:

Great! I'm so glad you found at least one. I'm sure there must be some way to get it secured to the ground. Do they sell some sort of horseshoe type anchors I wonder?

I think I have some tent stakes around here somewhere. I think they'll work. Today would not be a good day to experiment because it's very windy. Actually, it might be the perfect day to see if the stakes work but it's too cold to be outside today.

This stand is called a gazing ball stand. I can't imagine sitting it outside with a glass ball on top without anchoring it someway. The bottom is not wide enough to provide much stability. I'll experiment and report back.

Honored Contributor

You could also tie the spheres, through the hanging holes, to the stand. Use a clear thread or fishing line, then they won't blow away. I got a gazing ball at a flea market ten years ago. It was a real gazing ball, not like what you buy today. About four years ago, it blew off the stand and shattered. It was a sad day.

Honored Contributor

I saw some sphere stands at Big Lots today, and they had different styles.