Honored Contributor

We have seen the most unusual birds this year, evidently they don't live around here. (UP of Michigan) White breast and head, grey on back. What is distinctive is there is a white stripe going down each wing that forms a V on the top of the tail. Larger than a robin. We can't find this in our Audobon book.

Honored Contributor

Is it about the size of a mourning dove?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Depglass - check out this link from national geographic. I answered a couple of questions - location, season seen, colors of bird (grey/white) and basic size (Robin). 40 birds came back as possibilities.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birding/backyard-bird-identifier/

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Northern mockingbird?

Honored Contributor

No, its not the mockingbird. Bird mama, I'm going to your link now and will report back.

Honored Contributor

Most perplexing. I ran through the questions four times, varying the size from sparrow to robin and grey to brown. Nothing. Perhaps these birds were lost, we've never seen them before and they were only here about 3 or 4 days. Or could they be immature and these aren't the final feather colors. I guess I need a police sketch artist. I will never forget the white V. Thanks for this link, I'm sure we can use it in the future. DH says these were the size of sparrows, I go along with the mourning dove size.

Trusted Contributor

White winged dove? We get both the mourning & white wings here is SE AZ.

edit: I tried twice to post a pic of a white winged dove, but it would not take...sorry.

Trusted Contributor

Could it be a shrike?

Honored Contributor

I don't know the answer but (like you, and others) I enjoy watching the birds. I have several feeders on the part of my back porch where it isn't screened.

The birds come to feed on the widow feeders.

It's fun to look at the posters I have of the different birds and try to recognize them.

Super Contributor

Sorry, I'm no help in ID-ing your bird but I also love to bird-watch. What confuses me is that the same bird can look different depending on it's maturity, whether it's a male or female, or even the time of the year (for example, goldfinches are beautifully yellow in the spring/early summer then they turn dull golden brown.)