Super Contributor

What is your preference in kitchen appliances...black or stainless steel? Which do you currently have in your kitchen? Do you think mixing the two would be ok? Thanks! Reva

Super Contributor

Re: Black or Stainless Steel

I got stainless but black would also have worked. I wanted white but it just didn't go that good in my beige kitchen when I watch House Hunters it seems everyone wants stainless I think allot depends on the style and color of kitchen.
Honored Contributor

My kitchen is now being remodeled, but I had all black appliances and loved them. I could not find any black this time, so had to get stainless steel.

Super Contributor

On 4/15/2014 mousiegirl said:

My kitchen is now being remodeled, but I had all black appliances and loved them. I could not find any black this time, so had to get stainless steel.

I just had my black smooth front fridge delivered yesterday and the delivery guy told me you have to treat it like a painted car. Only warm sudsy water with a cotton rag or microfiber cloth, NO paper towels or anything abrasive! Yikes...how did you keep all your black appliances clean?? The salesperson didn't mention a thing about how careful you have to be. Thanks so much, Reva

Esteemed Contributor

I actually prefer white but I purchased black. My problem was that my stove is black and I knew that I did not want two different color of appliances in my kitchen. I know that I will have to replace the stove in the next year or so but it just was not in the budget to purchase more than one appliance at a time. I have an average size kitchen and the black actually fades away in the row of cabinets. That is exactly what I was hoping for! I think that it creates the illusion of a larger area.

I'm not a fan of stainless steel. I prefer the brass tone hardware. My sister in law had a bad experience with her stainless steel appliances. She just completed a huge remodel of her home (kitchen included) and replaced all of her kitchen appliances with stainless steel. She has grandchildren and was thinking that these would be stronger. Not so. Her grandson scratched the front of the dishwasher with his hot wheels car. $150 to replace that panel. She was shocked that it was just a facing. I pass this along because how do we know else do we know these facts.

I vote for black.

Enjoy whichever one you select.

Super Contributor

White. I've had white appliances for about the last 25 years.

Honored Contributor

On 4/15/2014 Reva said:
On 4/15/2014 mousiegirl said:

I just had my black smooth front fridge delivered yesterday and the delivery guy told me you have to treat it like a painted car. Only warm sudsy water with a cotton rag or microfiber cloth, NO paper towels or anything abrasive! Yikes...how did you keep all your black appliances clean?? The salesperson didn't mention a thing about how careful you have to be. Thanks so much, Reva

I used a soapy dish rag or bar towel to wash, and a bar towel to dry, but then there is the lint issue, have to brush it off.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/15/2014 BonnieBelle said:

White. I've had white appliances for about the last 25 years.

ITA. me too.

Super Contributor

I've had almond and then bisque appliances for 30 years. I hope they never stop making that color. I have heard that stainless has a problem with fingerprints showing. I would think your choice might depend on the color of your cabinets and counters.
Honored Contributor

I like black.