Valued Contributor

Brrrrrrr! What happened to the nice weather??

It was mid 70's to 80 this weekend. I planted 10 pots of beautiful, blooming daffodils. Now as I look out my window..it's snowing!{#emotions_dlg.sad}As soon as DH gets home, we'll have to cover those and everything else because of a hard freeze predicted for tonight. We're in NE Missouri.

Honored Contributor

Re: Brrrrrrr! What happened to the nice weather??

I'm in the mid-Atlantic area and I was always taught not to plant anything before Mother's Day in this area. Bulbs, we plant in the fall just before the ground gets too cold. Hope your plants hang in there. I love daffodils and they're blooming all over the place right now in this part of the country. As is my gorgeous purple plum tree in my front yard!!!! Too bad it's going to rain tomorrow and remove most of the petals. But it was gorgeous while it lasted!

Honored Contributor

We could use some snow. It's in the 80's.

Respected Contributor

I am from the St. Louis area. I just finished researching frost and their effect on jonquils and tulips. Many gardeners agree that they should do just fine with below 32 degrees as long as it warms up during the day.

I planted about 150 new jonquil and tulip bulbs in last November. Most of them have bloomed as of today, but I am not going to cover them up tonight.

If you do cover them, use a towel, blanket, or sheet but not plastic.

Respected Contributor

In Denver, we had a perfect spring day on Friday, the temp was in the low 70s. Yesterday it snowed & right now it's about 32 degrees. Kind of typical Colorado, but still, we'd like to put away the winter coats.

Super Contributor

You are my neighbor, country gal.
Valued Contributor

jpie- we're 120 miles north of you. A frost wouldn't hurt anything, but the weatherman is saying it will get down to 20 tonight, a hard freeze, so I don't want to take any chances. My lilac tree, hydrangea tree, and other plants are budded out and I wouldn't want to take the chance they won't bloom this year. It's a PITA, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for the advice about no plastic..I save old sheets and towels just for this.

Occasional Contributor

I had to laugh this morning. My great niece in NW Missouri, posted on Facebook: "Happy Spring Break, kids..... now go outside and play in the snow!". But maybe that's only funny if you live here in southern Arizona.

Valued Contributor

ilovedaisies-Where are you from? If you don't mind saying. BTW, I love daises, too.Smile

Respected Contributor

On 4/14/2014 country gal said:

jpie- we're 120 miles north of you. A frost wouldn't hurt anything, but the weatherman is saying it will get down to 20 tonight, a hard freeze, so I don't want to take any chances. My lilac tree, hydrangea tree, and other plants are budded out and I wouldn't want to take the chance they won't bloom this year. It's a PITA, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for the advice about no plastic..I save old sheets and towels just for this.

I understand now! We have a prediction of 28-29 degrees for tomorrow, but yes you are smart take precautions. Sounds like you have done this before!

I have been pre-planning and sketching out my annuals and new perennials in my gardening journal. I am anxious to start planting , but I will wait until late April!