Regular Contributor

Am I the only one who has lost interest in cleaning?

I don't know what it is. I used to be such a Mrs Clean. Every Saturday I'd clean everything and then relax or go out shopping. For the last couple of years I look at the clutter and just don't seem to be motivated anymore. It takes a real effort to just get started. Is it because I'm in my mid-sixties and I'm slower and things hurt more or I just don't want to do it anymore? I just don't seem to care. I work a 40 hour week and when Saturday comes all I want to do is sit down. I call it my "zombie" day. Does anyone else feel the same way?
Honored Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who has lost interest in cleaning?

I am going to be really honest here, and I hope I don't hurt your feelings, but my prescription for your problem is get rid of the clutter. It will literally change your life.

Look on the web for lots of articles about motivation and techniques to help you deal with it! Good luck to you! Look forward to liberating yourself from this "stuff" that is holding you back.

Super Contributor

I feel like you do, Tenners. I just look around, and feel so unmotivated to clean. When I get home, I just want to shut out the world, not have anyone bother me, and not have one more thing that I have to do.

Last night, I finally gave my bathroom a much needed cleaning. I used my new "toy", a hand held steamer. I have to admit, I was very pleased with the end results.

Maybe start with something small?

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Regular Contributor

I used to clean the house and do the floors and change the beds twice a week.HAHAHAHA

Now it is probabaly like once a month.Life is too short to fuss...if something more interesting comes along than I am in.The cleaning gets squeezed in between adventures.

Valued Contributor

I know what you mean. As I get older I feel burnt out from the many years of cleaning with a big family. The one thing I'm doing now is getting rid of all the clutter. I am a fan of Don Aslett and his products. I like his book , "Clutters Last Stand" and use his microfiber cloths all the time. I think it will be easier to give things a quick once over when all the clutter is gone.

Honored Contributor

Clutter is the enemy.

Maybe get a cleaning lady to help once in a while.

Regular Contributor

Hi, Sooner. I agree with you that decluttering is the answer, but most of that is my husband's. He's a wonderful man...just the best, but he's a pack rat. Any flat surface is fair game. He doesn't want me to throw out his stuff. He says he'll do it and I've actually seen him do it, but it's not happening fast. You're right. Clutter is demoralizing and hard to clean around. It's not the cleaning, it's having to move stuff to do it that I think is the problem. I hate having to have to do that first.
Honored Contributor

I agree with less desire to clean, and also about ridding the house of clutter. I have been doing this for a few years now, all those decor items sitting about just add to what has to be cleaned. I don't miss any of the things I have gotten rid of and the cleaning takes much less time. Good luck.

"To each their own, in all things".
Regular Contributor

I'm in my mid sixties and feel that life is, indeed, too short to be bothered with constant cleaning.
Honored Contributor

Can so relate to OP. I used to be the weekly cleaning tornado too, with 2 little kids and a hubby and a 2 story house plus a part time job or 2---I still have 2 kids (adults) and a hubby and the house but no jobs anymore and I can't tell you how I HATE the very thought of house work. Get no help from the hubs at all and if he doesn't care why should I? I clean what is necessary and the other stuff can be da(m)ned!! But I do agree that getting rid of the junk does make things easier. I am doing that now but only start in a corner first--after that little area is gone thru, you will be amazed at what more you can get rid of.