Esteemed Contributor

Smile I so like pretty dinnerware and a nicely set table. My 'formal' china is by Lenox and I've enjoyed having it along with setting my table in various colors with tablecloths, napkins, flowers, stemware, and of course the flatware. We live in a busy world and some of the 'nice-e-ties' bring me some warmth and contentment. I admit I use another brand of everyday ware which I've enjoyed throughout the years. If you like your dinnerware, no matter what kind, label, or brand, please share your heartwarming thoughts and memories.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

My fine, formal china is also Lenox and I love it more today than when my husband and I chose it for our wedding registry over 40 years ago. And Lenox is, or at least was, made in the USA.

My pattern is the "Brookdale."

Esteemed Contributor

I adore china and table linens and have a terrible weakness for beautiful, colorful items. I love April Cornel linens and have a nice variety which I use now and then as I just don't entertain like I used to.

A few years back I bought a small set of Lenox Butterfly Meadow. It is just so delightful in the Spring and Summer! I also bought Winter Greetings and the dishes with a green band and red Cardinal (the name escapes me). I alternate them in my corner china cabinet and use them for special dinners.

Just looking at them makes me happy! Years ago before silver flatware was so pricey, I bought Francis First and just adore it to this day. I do use it often.

To me, there is nothing like a beautifully set table. I love mixing patterns and it doesn't have to be expensive to look lovely.

Honored Contributor
Love my Lenox. My MIL started our Lenox china when we got married, and I have hers now, in a retired pattern. Sometimes when I'm seating big numbers, I use both, my plainer pattern and hers, which is slightly more ornate, alternating at each place. I could go really wild with Lenox Butterfly Meadow, but have resisted so far. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

I knew I wasn't the only one who likes their china! I started a Colonial Williamsburg set but it was discontinued before the company was sold a while back. I can mix and match with other pieces for the holiday season.

I have also resisted the Butterfly Meadow collection. It's not easy.

Respected Contributor

My formal china is Noritake. While it's beautiful, it's not a pattern I would have chosen...but it belonged to my mother and I love the story behind it!

In 1953 when my dad was in the Navy, while my parents were engaged, he was in Tokyo, so decided to look at china. He bought a complete service for 12, including gravy boat, vegetable tureen, one each large & small platters, sugar & creamer--plus two tea sets for gifts for his mother/sister--for about $300! He had them shipped and every piece arrived in good condition.

My mom rarely used hers, and when we moved from CA to SC in 1962 it was left for safekeeping with her twin sister. She promised it to pass it on to me when I married. Well, we lived in a small mobile home for our 1st eleven years and had no place to keep it. My parents & brother made a trip out West in 1988, and brought the china home with them in the back seat of the car! By then, we had built our house and I had a china cabinet---where the dishes are displayed to this day. In all the years that my aunt had the dishes--which included several moves--1 dinner plate and 3 salad plates were broken. I found replacements at Replacements, Ltd.

I don't use them often, as they are not dishwasher safe, but they mean a great deal to me. No children of my own, so I plan to offer them to my niece when she gets married.

Honored Contributor

I was shocked when I saw the Lenox Butterfly Meadow dinnerware set. The bowls are the exact same pattern and shape as a slightly smaller piece I received as a wedding gift. Unfortunately, I don't remember who gave it to me, but I had no idea of its value. I have always kept it in my buffet and with all of the moves I have made since then (1973), it is in perfect condition. What a find!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I have Lenox Poppies on Blue china stone that I've been using for over 20 years (it's long since been discontinued). I was given a new set of dinnerware when we got married a year almost 2 years ago, but I still use my Lenox. I just love everything about it.

I was surprised last night when a woman called in and said she wasn't familiar with the company. I grew up with Lenox so I just assumed everyone had heard of them.

Respected Contributor
On 4/2/2014 Witchy Woman said:

I adore china and table linens and have a terrible weakness for beautiful, colorful items. I love April Cornel linens and have a nice variety which I use now and then as I just don't entertain like I used to.

A few years back I bought a small set of Lenox Butterfly Meadow. It is just so delightful in the Spring and Summer! I also bought Winter Greetings and the dishes with a green band and red Cardinal (the name escapes me). I alternate them in my corner china cabinet and use them for special dinners.

Just looking at them makes me happy! Years ago before silver flatware was so pricey, I bought Francis First and just adore it to this day. I do use it often.

To me, there is nothing like a beautifully set table. I love mixing patterns and it doesn't have to be expensive to look lovely.

Oh, my gosh, we must be twins in the table setting area. I, too, have Francis I as my flatware and purchased a little of both Butterfly Meadow and Winter Song, although I didn't buy any of Winter Greetings. My everyday dishes are Chirp and I have both the teal and scarlet. I use teal in the warm months and scarlet during the colder months. Lately, I have fallen in love with Castle Garden for an elegant spring dinner setting.

For some reason, I seem to gravitate towards Lenox patterns. They seem to have just the right mix of colors and shapes to appeal to me.

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/2/2014 vermint said:

My formal china is Noritake. While it's beautiful, it's not a pattern I would have chosen...but it belonged to my mother and I love the story behind it!

In 1953 when my dad was in the Navy, while my parents were engaged, he was in Tokyo, so decided to look at china. He bought a complete service for 12, including gravy boat, vegetable tureen, one each large & small platters, sugar & creamer--plus two tea sets for gifts for his mother/sister--for about $300! He had them shipped and every piece arrived in good condition.

My mom rarely used hers, and when we moved from CA to SC in 1962 it was left for safekeeping with her twin sister. She promised it to pass it on to me when I married. Well, we lived in a small mobile home for our 1st eleven years and had no place to keep it. My parents & brother made a trip out West in 1988, and brought the china home with them in the back seat of the car! By then, we had built our house and I had a china cabinet---where the dishes are displayed to this day. In all the years that my aunt had the dishes--which included several moves--1 dinner plate and 3 salad plates were broken. I found replacements at Replacements, Ltd.

I don't use them often, as they are not dishwasher safe, but they mean a great deal to me. No children of my own, so I plan to offer them to my niece when she gets married.

I am so touched by your dad actually going out to search for and buy china! How many men do such things! He really had love in his heart to do such a thing. I find that a romantic story - I am weak for romantic stories and deeds. I don't have children either so I will have mine given to a charity, or a church group for their use - even bride on a budget if there is one such organization.

Thanks for sharing.